Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 67 44.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 8.7%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

Nuisance algae is a thing. It has affected nearly all of us at one time and likely continues to occasionally come back around. Nuisance algae may even stay present and lurks in the corner of our tanks where it is hopefully under control. Whether you are looking to keep your tank from being overrun or wanting a crystal clear tank. There are a wide range of commercial products available for sale to address nuisance algae and the underlaying reasons for the algae growth. However, there are also DIY solutions to combat nuisance algae such as hydrogen peroxide. What about you – do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae? If so, please share your methods and let us know if you have tips or specific recommendations.

Broadfield_FTS.jpeg

Photo by @Broadfield

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried letting the algae grow unchecked and when folks can't see through the glass they complain but they don't ever wipe the glass down? I always have to DIY (the algae) so others can enjoy the view. Life is not fair. :thinking-face: :cool:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I do

and

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going forward I want natural options to resolve issues. Go look at a healthy part of the reef. There is a reason that bacteria and algae don’t take over. One main reason I am starting a 6 foot tank is my love for tangs.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just keep nutrients balanced and make sure to have animals that eats the algae. :) Like my 15g that had a turf algae problem, is now spotless since adding a mithrax. :)

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep PO4 <0.1 and NO3 <10
and you starve out nuisance algea

Beside waterchanges.... a bunch of dosing options to control po4/n03

The trick is not to bottom those #s out to 0 with too much dosing

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t this the idea behind a refugium? Let the micro algae grow in a contained environment so it doesn’t take over and soak up the excess nutrients to starve any nuisance algae? Or also an algae scrubber?

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t this the idea behind a refugium? Let the micro algae grow in a contained environment so it doesn’t take over and soak up the excess nutrients to starve any nuisance algae? Or also an algae scrubber?
That's what I thought as well yet in my test tank the established GHA kept growing out of control. Seems that just like on a reef, grazers what solve algae problems. Unfortunately, the best grazers too big although mollies might solve it assuming one likes them. Mine seemed to keep it in check although never actually saw them munch on it. Going to try it again. Sea hare another option assuming one can keep it fed. At least what I've read. Plan on testing that as well.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried just about everything over the decades except for Fluconazole and have had mixed results.

I won't likely every run an ATS or refugium again. I have had dump box (ala Walter Adey) and waterfall scrubbers, refugia of various configurations and have tried over-kimming, GFO receptors, etc.

In the end (at least for now) nutrient control and mechanical removal appear to be the most effective in conjunction with a healthy mix of snails and an urchin.

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep PO4 <0.1 and NO3 <10
and you starve out nuisance algea

Beside waterchanges.... a bunch of dosing options to control po4/n03

The trick is not to bottom those #s out to 0 with too much dosing

For sure. I learned that lesson the hard way by dropping phosphate way too fast and ended up with dinos :/

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I tried was carbon dosing vodka to my tank to lower nutrients. Instead it not only fed good bacteria but the bad as well. Then I built a mini refugium out of a Aqua Clear 70 HOB filter. It works and grows Chaeto well however it was to small to make much difference in nutrient levels. I started to put an algae turf scrubber together but did not finish it due to cost of materials I wanted to use. I will finish it and use it on another tank. I ended up using an algae reactor put together with a reactor wrapped with led strip grow lights and a Axis 40 pump to control flow rate through the reactor. I also have the LED lights plugged into a smart outlet programmed to control the photoperiod. This has been exactly what my tank has needed to control nutrients naturally rather than chemically.

My next DIY project is putting together a saltwater mixing station and automating some of the functions with a Hydros system. This is going to be a game changer for me and my reef.

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I do

and
i read those. good stuff.

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you can outcompete nuisance algae with chaeto which is another natural way to win.
i have GHA not in my display, but in my refugium. it grows on walls and even on top of the chaeto itself. its crazy. i cant stop it from growing on my chaeto. i manually remove it weekly but its a pain. im suprised it hasnt moved into my display yet honestly.

Back