Is Gen X the last great reefing generation

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought everyone liked captive bred? Just a guy trying to save the world here. Or what, is it the scary clown guy.
I’m going to have to call Biota in the morning to see if they have anything set up for this project already.

They have lots of clown varieties but I don’t think they have a scary one yet?
Harley Quinn GIF

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I didn't know you were a mod now! Well deserved (not to derail, lol)
Haha only for one group! This is a supporting member perk if done quickly enough! Or it was.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a good start, hehe. It looks like those are the "toe dip in the water" sps. Corals like seriatopora, stylophora, pocillopora, staghorn etc are the beginner sps.

Wasn’t enough to pull me in :) did great with them, but found it boring after time

I like BIG polyps and I cannot lie
You other reefers may deny

222FD4EA-8365-4639-A55A-873C36D7FBDA.jpeg
06C11A2C-43EA-4A7B-9A19-E0D35869731C.jpeg
DC38E32D-EC75-4C0A-B2B0-35AA9D6973FE.jpeg
D0740235-E6C9-44E7-869F-59A919D06BA7.jpeg
DA707762-B7B0-468D-8994-AAF5A1355B91.jpeg
7F85421A-A5C3-4B23-BBAC-3AFB4A43C5E5.jpeg
C984FDDB-F9F5-4C9A-B5B1-3FA0A866903D.jpeg
8939473B-56A4-4C36-BA2F-EF952E8BE5E9.jpeg

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@VintageReefer, I wish that I could get into LPS, I simply don't have the desire. I wish that I could point to what it is. Is it that they're easy? Is it because they grow too fast? Is it because they're considered a stepping stone into corals? Is it because they used to be a giveaway coral? Is it because you can transplant enough of them to get an instant reef? Is it because they require blue light, orange filter and post processing to showcase them? I don't know, I do know that I shouldn't NOT like them and somewhere in there is the reason. Perhaps the very reason why you don't prefer sps is the very reason why I do, and the same for lps.

20240515_160317.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure it’s a generational thing—plenty of Gen Z reefers are as passionate and responsible about the hobby as older generations. Regardless of generation, the true problem lies in social media trends and fishkeeping fads that offer poor advice, and social media as a whole has diminished the critical thinking skills and common sense of many individuals, both young and old. I would hardly say that “newer generations are getting dumber”, as myself and many other young reefers are as knowledgeable in maintaining a thriving reef system as many before them, and aspire to be as great. We tend to see negative trends and apply them to younger people, but I’m sure there are plenty of older individuals entering the hobby with the same inexperience and misinformation as young people.

Now I can’t speak on behalf of gen alpha and how they would turn out as reefkeepers. I certainly agree that social media has brought about a need for instant gratification that is not sustainable for fishkeeping, but I do think with the proper education and experience, even younger, more technology-dependent generations can still become great reefkeepers.

The hobby itself also evolves. One could also make the claim that older generations are less responsible, relying on habits and practices now deemed unsafe for reef tanks or even the reef keeper. So the debate about with generation is more responsible in the hobby is quite subjective and it is hard to definitively say. I think regardless of generation, you’ll see an equal amount of good reefkeepers and bad reefkeepers, and it’s really more up to the education of that individual and their willingness to learn about the hobby & its best practices and pursue it long-term.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a millennial myself and it's not like we don't have respect for the old timers paving the path. I still listen to Mike Paletta, Greg Carroll, Sanjay, RHF, Marc Levenson, @Lasse and many others for their valuable perspective, even if the way we do things is a bit different these days - the hobby is bigger than it ever has been and there's room for everyone IMO. Those guys crawled so we could walk so I keep that in mind

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No generation lives in a vacuum. Knowledge transfers up through the generations and new knowledges will be incorporated by every generation. When I was 30-40 years old - I would never be able to hold any hard corals - the knowledge was not there and the few that succeeded had no way to communicate how to do. Maybe they write a book but I must say that after 5-6 year the knowledge in that book was normally outdated. (@Paul B - of cause not your book :)) In this thread - I have seen many complains about the internet and that internet has dumbed down the hobby. IMO - nothing can´t be as wrong as that. Internet is for me the very core of the rapid development of the saltwater hobby (and especially the coral hobby) we have seen the last 10-20 years. Today a 15 years old youth can total outcompete me in husbandry and caretaking of a reef aquarium. However much of this knowledge they have comes from the collective know how from earlier generations and searches of scientific articles on the Internet. According coral husbandry - the climate crisis has forced forward a lot of investigations (hence knowledge) about wild corals that we can use in the hobby and vice versa - the reef hobby have inspired young people to become scientists in this field.

The trick is that we older must have a mindset not saying - it was better in the old good time (which it absolute not was - in any way) and the younger (and absolutely also the middle aged generation X and Millennials:)) must realize that we dinosaurs lived in a time when our parents still read bedtime stories like H.C Andersen's The King's New Clothes (you do not need to follow the link - you can also order the book from bookstore or Amazon as in the old days) when we criticizing some new fashions ideas they bring on.

Could not have written these wise words without Internet - I´m sitting in Sweden - The country of IKEA you know - not knifes

And I am a Boomer I

And remember - "I am not young enough to know everything, but neither so old that I forgotten everything"
Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 36 15.3%
  • No

Votes: 174 73.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.0%
Back