JBJ 25 AIO build thread

Aguamann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a JBJ RF-25 and stand from a local person on Facebook marketplace. The itch has now begun!
I have some old pieces of equipment from when I was in the hobby 5+ years ago. Using that, what little knowledge I’ve retained, and a little bit of dollar bills, my aquarium will be up and cycling within a week or two.

what’s everyone’s opinion on a leveling Matt? This stand really just doesn’t feel too sturdy, but it’s made by JBJ for this aquarium.

IMG_0154.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Aguamann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t use leveling mats but have thought of them. Looks nice. The rimless top is slick. Where are you getting the rocks from?
Purchased a 20lb box from BRS- Marcorocks coralline dry rock.

I will use that to get the scape i want. I found a pretty impressive local fish store about 30 minutes away that i will get a few small pieces of live rock with to throw in there and get my tank cycling.

OP
OP
A

Aguamann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan on using a lid or making a DIY?
It actually came with these low profile glass lids, I am short 1 bracket on the right side, but it’s on order.

I like them a lot, they can just slide back over the sump area for simple maintenance/cleaning.

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpeg
    IMG_0155.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 9

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a 20lb box from BRS- Marcorocks coralline dry rock.

I will use that to get the scape i want. I found a pretty impressive local fish store about 30 minutes away that i will get a few small pieces of live rock with to throw in there and get my tank cycling.
Excellent plan

OP
OP
A

Aguamann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
filled the tank the other day to test for any leaks, all good!
Ran the pump with a long hose to drain it and it was quite loud. It’s the factory jbj 198gph return pump that came with the tank which is a few years old. While a simple cleaning might have helped I decided to replace it with a Sicce 251gph pump that’s nice and quiet. A few months in once the tank is stable and i have a good maintenance schedule I will start adding corals, at that time a power head will be added. And recomendations?

Everything should be in Thursday to get the tank up and running!

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpeg
    IMG_0157.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
A

Aguamann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garage water station is ready to go.
BRS 6 stage ro/di system mounted to the rack. Two jugs for fresh water and a brute 10 gallon for mixing salt. I will be keeping all of my aquarium related equipment/water testing/etc on this same shelf. The plan is to keep the mess away from the aquarium to keep the wife happy.

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpeg
    IMG_0189.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
A

Aguamann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is up and running!

Did a single rinse of the caribsea special grade reef sand with saltwater just to prevent some of the cloudiness, worked great. Got the rocks sitting how i like them, mostly up against the back wall but angling out towards the center of the tank at the bottom. Will make a great reef look once I fill it up with corals. Put a capful of Microbacter to speed up the process and now we wait.
I’ll be testing every few days. No filtration in the tank at the moment, will probably start to filter the water right when livestock is added after the cycle. Intank media basket with filter floss on top and bio balls in the bottom chamber.

Light is a reefbreeders nano LED. Impressed with it so far for a relatively cheap light, we will see how it does long term. From what I read, I really shouldn’t be running the light during my cycle, what a shame!

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpeg
    IMG_0186.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0185.jpeg
    IMG_0185.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0187.jpeg
    IMG_0187.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 11

scubatan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is up and running!

Did a single rinse of the caribsea special grade reef sand with saltwater just to prevent some of the cloudiness, worked great. Got the rocks sitting how i like them, mostly up against the back wall but angling out towards the center of the tank at the bottom. Will make a great reef look once I fill it up with corals. Put a capful of Microbacter to speed up the process and now we wait.
I’ll be testing every few days. No filtration in the tank at the moment, will probably start to filter the water right when livestock is added after the cycle. Intank media basket with filter floss on top and bio balls in the bottom chamber.

Light is a reefbreeders nano LED. Impressed with it so far for a relatively cheap light, we will see how it does long term. From what I read, I really shouldn’t be running the light during my cycle, what a shame!
Looks good! Are you concerned at all about detritus build up or being able to clean in the back there?

OP
OP
A

Aguamann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t until you mentioned it, lol.

In all seriousness I’ve never cleaned the back glass on previous tanks. Always liked the look of it he coralline algae once it starts growing.

As for waste buildup, I’m hoping to out a good cleanup crew and regular maintenance/water changes I can keep everything in check. Plan to have a small bio load and good water movement to eliminate any dead spots too, we will see how it goes.

OP
OP
A

Aguamann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 days in and ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels haven’t moved from 0 PPM. I added a cube of frozen brine in today to hopefully cause an ammonia spike and get this cycle kick started. I have been putting a capful of microbacter7 in every day.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 days in and ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels haven’t moved from 0 PPM. I added a cube of frozen brine in today to hopefully cause an ammonia spike and get this cycle kick started. I have been putting a capful of microbacter7 in every day.
It looks like you have a nice cube, I hope you have success.

Vinaka_vakalevu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can always add liquid ammonia, but adding the cube of frozen will get it gong

Back