OP
OP
Jimbo327

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank temperature have been climbing up past 81F lately, and it’s only going to get hotter next couple months. Found some used GHL fans, giving a nice spray paint (to match the wall color) before mounting over the tank.
IMG_7827.jpeg
IMG_7830.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimbo327

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the big contributors to my phosphate problem is that I have a pretty dirty sand bed. It’s brown and full of detritus. I like to feed heavy, and I don’t want to stop that. The nassarius snails and sea cucumber cannot keep up. They need some help.

So I finally stirred up the 2 front corners of the tank, and added some DIY coral snow. I also removed all of the rocks from the sump to make it easier to clean. I’m planning to trade locally some of my small trochus snails for micro CUC’s like brittle stars and worms.

The new routine is to stir sand and coral snow every weekend. I don’t want to disturb too much at 1 time, so will do small sections.

Attachments

• IMG_7831.jpeg
    IMG_7831.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 7

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the big contributors to my phosphate problem is that I have a pretty dirty sand bed. It’s brown and full of detritus. I like to feed heavy, and I don’t want to stop that. The nassarius snails and sea cucumber cannot keep up. They need some help.

So I finally stirred up the 2 front corners of the tank, and added some DIY coral snow. I also removed all of the rocks from the sump to make it easier to clean. I’m planning to trade locally some of my small trochus snails for micro CUC’s like brittle stars and worms.

The new routine is to stir sand and coral snow every weekend. I don’t want to disturb too much at 1 time, so will do small sections.
My bristles do a great job of keeping the sand bed white. I have a few problem places (like directly under the overflow). I need to get a trap for that tank. I need to cull a few and spread them out to my other tanks. I can get one or two when I feed but they are pretty quick. I made a sand stirrer on a stick, but I think I like a long turkey baster that I use because it throws it up in the water column. Corals love it also.
Also TA on the restaurant rec. I think its a winner.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Went to the office last night with a red flashlight to introduce some berghia. I have a lot more bristleworms than I thought. They are apparently putting in work.

OP
OP
Jimbo327

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a few nice SPS frags from a local reefer today.

And he gave me a bag of chaeto from his sump. I was excited to pick off 30 bristle worms and 5-6 micro brittle stars from the chaeto. So I added those into my tank, and hopefully that's enough to seed my sand bed CUC. I know I’m missing this layer of CUC and more pods. (I didn’t put the chaeto into my sump because there were also lots of asterina stars and I don’t want them)

IMG_7834.jpeg

OP
OP
Jimbo327

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick recap on my DIY top metal brace on my tank. I really liked the look of a top brace that somewhat hides the water line, and I don't have a canopy. But I saw on CDA website wanted $1900 for an exterior structural bottom brace. Since I don't need it to be structural as the tank is built with double euro-brace, I decided to make a non-structural DIY top metal brace version. Yes, it is just for the aesthetics that is made with aluminum angles...barely held together with aluminum brazing rods...and sprayed with some Rustoleum primer/paint. I don't really know how long it will hold up as I've never seen anyone do this DIY. I think all in, the DIY version cost about $100-150 in materials (got everything at Lowes and Harbor Freight) as I had most of the tools (miter saw and camping torch). The hardest part of this DIY is using the brazing rods (never used it before) and it is similar to solder. The $4 corner brackets from Harbor Freight is the key as you have to heat up the aluminum with a camping portable propane torch.

Pro-Tip #1: I left 1/4" gap all around inside perimeter so I can add in some rubber tape in between the tank and metal brace later.

Pro-Tip #2: Watch a bunch of youtube videos on how to braze aluminum. It is tricky and needs to be heated really hot to braze/solder to melt/flow. Gloves are required so you don't burn yourself.

IMG_7278.jpeg

IMG_7291.jpeg

IMG_7321.jpeg

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back