OP
E

everpresentnoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, last night he ate some Hikari pellets. I accidentally bought the micro ones, so they were hard for him to catch. I ordered a bag of the small sized pellets and they should be delivered in about an hour. Planning on putting some in water to moisten them and see if he will eat them. But he seems to be swimming around more in the qt tank. Granted he still loves sitting in the back corner of it. Doesn't seem to be a very social guy.

Attachments

• 20240522_183019.jpg
    20240522_183019.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240522_183008.jpg
    20240522_183008.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240522_183012.jpg
    20240522_183012.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240522_183014.jpg
    20240522_183014.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240522_183051.mp4
    71.7 MB

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, last night he ate some Hikari pellets. I accidentally bought the micro ones, so they were hard for him to catch. I ordered a bag of the small sized pellets and they should be delivered in about an hour. Planning on putting some in water to moisten them and see if he will eat them. But he seems to be swimming around more in the qt tank. Granted he still loves sitting in the back corner of it. Doesn't seem to be a very social guy.
when my clowns were little, the small hikari pellets were their favorite too. Glad it's working for you.

It's not unusual that he sticks to one spot - clowns tend to find a "host", whether you have an anemone or not, and stick near it. That could be a rock, powerhead, corner... anything really. Clowns are weird.

OP
OP
E

everpresentnoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well crud... Got the small pellets, soaked a pinch in water for a couple minutes to soften them up and he swam through them but has less than zero interest in eating... He ate some yesterday, but not much, his last real meal was Saturday night..

I found a different fish store that specializes in reefs near my work so I'm going to stop there tomorrow and talk to them. See what they recommend.

Swbvegas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should really let the cycle run more. This is a marathon not a sprint. Get parameters perfect for 2 more months and then add slowly.

My clowns have always loved reef frenzy and frozen foods similar.

OP
OP
E

everpresentnoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should really let the cycle run more. This is a marathon not a sprint. Get parameters perfect for 2 more months and then add slowly.

My clowns have always loved reef frenzy and frozen foods similar.
yep. I agree. however at this point I have the clown and I'm trying to figure out how to keep him from starving.

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep. I agree. however at this point I have the clown and I'm trying to figure out how to keep him from starving.
I won’t lecture you on slowing things down and cycling your tank… but you should really slow down and let your tank cycle ;)

Regarding the clown, they are omnivores so you could see how it feels about nori. You can clip a sheet on the glass or rubber band it to a rock and let him graze on it throughout the day (if he is into it).

Frozen spirulina brine and mysis are always hits with my clowns, which also eat whatever nori my tang and fox face will let them.

OP
OP
E

everpresentnoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he now has a nori strip and a clam on the half shell.... Showing no interest yet, but he's swimming in the front of the tank watching me... Lol

OP
OP
E

everpresentnoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I figured that I would update this thread one last time. My little clown has been in a QT tank for a while now and after buying MULTIPLE different types of food I finally found one that he actually likes and eats!! It is TDO pellets by Reef Nutrition. the little guy has been staying at the top of the QT tank for the past few days and when i walk in the room he kind of follows me across the front glass of the tank. When I sprinkle a little of the pellets in the water he will go after them, pull a couple into his mouth and then spit them out. but as they drift down he goes after them and eats them. he refuses to eat anything on the floor of the tank, and eating floating things is hit or miss, but he has learned that he can pull pellets off the surface and let them start to sink and then they are tasty. when i feed him I can actually kinda lead him around the tank with my hand and then drop the pellets for him.

I was told by one of the shops that I visited this weekend (after visiting about 5 in the San Antonio area) that part of his issue in my 75 gallon DT was that there was nothing else moving iin it and he may have thought that everything had gone to ground due to a predator in the area so he too was hiding... Not sure that's the case, but at this point I don't care to much, he is finally eating again!

So It would seem that he will survive. Ill keep watching him in the qt tank until the weekend and then try the DT again.

Back