Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your responses. Very helpful. Perhaps I should rethink the future Triggers and Tangs. I am not set on Tangs, but I really do like the Triggers and thought that perhaps the more “reef safe” Bluethroat would be possible, especially if I could find juveniles to start with. Some invert casualties would be acceptable, but wreaking havoc on the rest of the fish and coral would not be good.

On the wrasses, I had read that many of the Halichoeres may find future coral tasty. Any species recommendations in this Genre?
Halichoeres do not eat coral. They eat small inverts and are generally considered good for coral as they eat some coral eating pests.

Mizu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, I went to my LFS today and my stocking list had been modified for my 32.5 gallon tank:

1x Flame Hawkfish
1x Sixline Wrasse
1x helfrichi firefish
2x Lyretail blue gudgeon dartfish (Ptereleotris hanae) Apparently these are going to be a pain to get
1x Clown goby (probably yellow)
1x Yasha goby w/ pistol shrimp

Does this list see ok? I added a cleaner shrimp to my tank as my first inhabitant.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, I went to my LFS today and my stocking list had been modified for my 32.5 gallon tank:

1x Flame Hawkfish
1x Sixline Wrasse
1x helfrichi firefish
2x Lyretail blue gudgeon dartfish (Ptereleotris hanae) Apparently these are going to be a pain to get

Does this list see ok? I added a cleaner shrimp to my tank as my first inhabitant.
Unfortunately there are some issues.
Hawkfish and six line wrasse are aggressive and not generally compatible with firefish or gudgeon. Also hawkfish often eat shrimp.
Finally sexing gudgeons is difficult and if you get 2 males they will kill each other.

I would swap the hawkfish with a basslet or a blenny. Both fish are fun and more peaceful. The six line I would replace with a possum or a pink streak wrasse. Very similar but a lot more peaceful. Then I suggest just one gudgeon.

Mizu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there are some issues.
Hawkfish and six line wrasse are aggressive and not generally compatible with firefish or gudgeon. Also hawkfish often eat shrimp.
Finally sexing gudgeons is difficult and if you get 2 males they will kill each other.

I would swap the hawkfish with a basslet or a blenny. Both fish are fun and more peaceful. The six line I would replace with a possum or a pink streak wrasse. Very similar but a lot more peaceful. Then I suggest just one gudgeon.
Thanks for the advice, Ill try to look for a mated dartfish pair!

Instead of a basslet or a blenny, could I try a neon dottyback or a Springeri dottyback? (or any smaller dottyback)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, Ill try to look for a mated dartfish pair!

Instead of a basslet or a blenny, could I try a neon dottyback or a Springeri dottyback? (or any smaller dottyback)
No, definitely not. Dottybacks are very very aggressive. Trust me a royal gramma is just as pretty but a way more peaceful fish.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Mizu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1x Flame Hawkfish
1x Sixline Wrasse
1x helfrichi firefish

Ok so went to my LFS again yesterday and I ended up getting a pair of Storm clownfish as my first fish

I guess they'll replace the hawkfish and wrasse.

2x Black Storm clownfish
1x helfrichi firefish
2x Lyretail blue gudgeon dartfish (Ptereleotris hanae)

I didn't plan on having any corals but I am open to getting an Anemone for the clownfish if its easy to care for/doesn't require changing water parameters.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so went to my LFS again yesterday and I ended up getting a pair of Storm clownfish as my first fish

I guess they'll replace the hawkfish and wrasse.

2x Black Storm clownfish
1x helfrichi firefish
2x Lyretail blue gudgeon dartfish (Ptereleotris hanae)

I didn't plan on having any corals but I am open to getting an Anemone for the clownfish if its easy to care for/doesn't require changing water parameters.
Clowns don’t need an anemone and the ones they host are generally pretty hard. Bubble tip is probably the one most people go with and they require high light.

Back