Need Plastic Hose Clamp Recommendation

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers! I have a problem where the hose that connects my return pump to the manifold in my sump keeps coming disconnected from the pump. What I need are recommendations on how to better secure it to the pump which I assume will require better plastic hose clamps, but I will let you masters decide.

Here are some additional details:

1. The type of hose that I am using is PVC Reinforced Braided Vinyl Tubing which looks like this:
Hose.png

2. The pump is a Hydor Seltz D with a barbed fitting that came with the pump and looks like this:
Hydor.png

3. When attaching to the pump, I use hot water to soften the end of the tube and then attach. I make sure that the tube slides all the way over the outlet of the pump.

4. After attaching, I secure it to the pump using a plastic hose clamp that looks like this. I even use pliers to clamp it as tight as possible. Once tightened, the hose clamp does not move at all no matter how much I pull at it.
Clamp.png

5. Regardless of steps 1-4, the hose disconnects itself from the pump about once every few months causing a big mess.

6. Using an additional standard zip tie does not help.

7. What I would like to try is a plastic version of this including a plastic screw, but I have not been able to find anything like it. Nor do I know if one would even work.

Metal clamp.png

So that's it! If you can help me solve this then I would be grateful. All ideas are welcome.

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a Hydor Seltz D pump. I updated the original post with a photo.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't that ring on the top of the pump a type of compression fitting that you slide up the hose while you put the hose on the barbed fitting, then screw the ring down thus locking the hose onto the barb?

OP
OP
X

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't that ring on the top of the pump a type of compression fitting that you slide up the hose while you put the hose on the barbed fitting, then screw the ring down thus locking the hose onto the barb?
It does not lock the hose onto the barb but it does lock the barb onto the pump.

OP
OP
X

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get away from the vinyl tubing junk, that stuff all gets hard and brittle in a saltwater environment. Buy silicone hose and never look back, I haven't touched vinyl or spa hose in years now.
I can look into that, but I just reattached the hose to the pump about a month ago. When I did that it was not brittle or hard. I may go with your recommendation regardless because over time it may experience that issue, but will doing so likely solve my current problem too?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Herbie Click clamps from HCL fastening but they have a worm style also.

you could use titanium

OP
OP
X

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those titanium hose clips look like exactly what I need. Thank you both for sharing. Still taking more ideas if people got'em.

Back