Red Sea Max Nano G2 XL Protein Skimmer

blackcat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Brand new to the world of reef tanks. Just setup my first tank and it's been up and running for about 20 hours now. Went with the Max Nano XL and the protein skimmer has been bubbling over from the minute I started it up with no change since. Wondering if this is normal and part of the break in process that will eventually right itself or if there is something I need to address. Thanks!
2.jpeg

1.jpeg

3.jpeg

robinm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty normal for a skimmer to go nuts for a while when first started up. You can restrict the air intake right down to prevent it boiling over. You will get microbubbles but they're also normal in a new setup. As it calms down open up the sir intake slowly until you get stable foam. It may take a day or two to settle.

robinm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW it may be just the photographs but your water level looks very high which will also cause the skimmer to boil over. Red Sea mention in the instructions the suggested water level in the filtration area.

jnbrex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try pushing the plastic piece all the way down so the skimmer water level is at the minimum.

OP
OP
B

blackcat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW it may be just the photographs but your water level looks very high which will also cause the skimmer to boil over. Red Sea mention in the instructions the suggested water level in the filtration area.
Great catch! Ver well could be an issue. I'll take a look at that.

Back