Renew CUC?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all, how often do people here replenish their CUC? I am feeling like I could stand to get some more, and just wondering.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add to mine around every year to year and a half. Snails, at least for me, don’t have the longest life spans especially the ones that can’t right themselves:confused-face:!
Boy is that true about snails that can not right themselves!!! My nerites also commit suicide quite often by escaping. I don't know until I hear my dog chewing on something that sounds like bricks, and it turns out to be a snail.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About every 6 months or so, I add about 1/4th of Reefcleaners suggested CuC to my tank. At 300g that means I am adding a 75g CuC, snail only, to my tank every 6 months-ish.

That's about 1/4th of what I need, every 25% of the snails lifecycle approx. My logic anyways.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I review my cuc at least weekly and only add to them if I feel a need. I found that to big a cuc often leads to premature death of the crew
Absolutely it can, that is why I am checking to see what others do. I do notice a few snail deaths here and there, mainly due to not being able to right themselves. I add nori just for my CUC so that when there is not enough algae to go around, they can still eat.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like about what I am thinking. It's a fine line between having enough, and too much to where some will starve.
Yes, sometimes I have to supplement with algae wafers and nori ( for my urchin) since algae tends to come and go.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, sometimes I have to supplement with algae wafers and nori ( for my urchin) since algae tends to come and go.
What type of algae wafers do you use? i have never used them before, but I may. How are they for adding to the nutrients?

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them sparingly and haven’t noticed any detrimental effects.
6997C829-D6A3-41B4-A691-7E54068A4F5B.png

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place an order with John at Reefcleaners once or twice per year.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all, how often do people here replenish their CUC? I am feeling like I could stand to get some more, and just wondering.
I own a red coris, it's like buying food, lol. About every 6 months, I'll buy some hermits and a few trochus/nerite snails.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a red coris, it's like buying food, lol. About every 6 months, I'll buy some hermits and a few trochus/nerite snails.
oh man!! I LOVE the looks of a red coris!! But I have several corals, ( I understand they are not reef safe) And I also have a juvenile six line wrasse. :smirking-face:

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh man!! I LOVE the looks of a red coris!! But I have several corals, ( I understand they are not reef safe) And I also have a juvenile six line wrasse. :smirking-face:
They are fine to corals, cuc not so much. I keep it with a few other wrasses, they don't care.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, does it eat your CUC? If so, no worries. Are they sand bed sleepers?
Occasionally a hermit becomes a tasty snack, but that's all I've seen. Shrimp are a HARD no also as they will be a more expensive snack.

Yep, sand sleepers, the three wrasses I have in my 120g are all sand sleepers, including the red coris. I've gotten away from the fairies and flasher wrasses for the most part too neurotic for my taste.

Back