Should I use this salt?

Aguamann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting back into the hobby and I have a 5 gallon bucket of salt that was given to me from a family member. It is full, sealed and unopened. However with the little research I have done, I can’t find anything on this salt. Does anybody have and experience with it? Should I stray away or send it?

Probio pure ocean expert reef salt.

Next question, it is about 5 years old, my cousin stated that it wouldn’t be a problem since it is still in a sealed container. My little bit of research seemed to agree with my cousin. Would just feel better to hear this from experienced members also!

IMG_0145.png

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next question, it is about 5 years old, my cousin stated that it wouldn’t be a problem since it is still in a sealed container.
Honestly there is no way to have expiration date for salt, maybe 100 million years or for ever.
Salt has been around for very long time.

Only concern would be water getting in and the mix turning into solid. In that case I would not use it. Also the prodibio bacteria might be dead, assuming it was alive to start with.

Here is some information on the salt:

The Alk is high, people make it work. I prefer 7-8 dKh.

Good luck,

OP
OP
A

Aguamann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly there is no way to have expiration date for salt, maybe 100 million years or for ever.
Salt has been around for very long time.

Only concern would be water getting in and the mix turning into solid. In that case I would not use it. Also the prodibio bacteria might be dead, assuming it was alive to start with.

Here is some information on the salt:

The Alk is high, people make it work. I prefer 7-8 dKh.

Thanks for the input, i will read up on that and make my decision. I do agree that alk seems to be very much on the high side.

Back