Small white critter

promotheus2070

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers ,
I was wondering , i am seeing thousants maybe even millions small white critter on the glass/sand/stone's actualy everywhere .

Doesnt seem to harm anything but wonder what they just are ?

Tank is fairly new , about 3 months old .

Tried to make a video but they are that small that i cant focus on them . They look like round balls with a tail on them as far i can see .

Thanks in advance .

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
promotheus2070

promotheus2070

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for fqst response , it did check that topic but cannot find any simmilars .

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those are copepods. Good to have in your tank. You'll see a lot of them in a newer tank before you stock up on fish that eat them. Otherwise, they eat the stuff you can't see but want eaten. Larger versions of these are called amphipods, getting almost the size of a small pill bug/rolypoly. Also good to have.

Study up on those hitchhikers. You'll come across a lot of them as your tank matures!

OP
OP
promotheus2070

promotheus2070

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are copepods. Good to have in your tank. You'll see a lot of them in a newer tank before you stock up on fish that eat them. Otherwise, they eat the stuff you can't see but want eaten. Larger versions of these are called amphipods, getting almost the size of a small pill bug/rolypoly. Also good to have.

Study up on those hitchhikers. You'll come across a lot of them as your tank matures!
Thanks for the answer :)
Also still good to have when they are expanding rapidly ? Everywhere i look there are colonies of them . Is there a point ever where i need to say lets tacle them a bit down or will they just self evade as food recources gets down ?

Thx

OP
OP
promotheus2070

promotheus2070

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also still good to have when they are expanding rapidly ? Everywhere i look there are colonies of them . Is there a point ever where i need to say lets tacle them a bit down or will they just self evade as food recources gets down ?

Thx
Found these answers :)

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thx
They'll regulate their population on their own if you don't have enough predators. If their food source dwindles, so will their population. They can't get to a point where they are a problem--if they ever do, scoop them out and sell them for $$$!

Back