Tropic Marin balling + trace elements + carbon dosing combo

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing TM balling part A and B; 2.5 liter each and I add 50 ml of A- elements in the part A. (Alk) and 50 ml of K+ elements in part B (CaCl2).

Is it ok to also add 30ml acetate and 20 ethanol to part B? That wouldn’t react with any of the trace elements?

This combo requires only two pumps :).

@Hans-Werner @Lou Ekus @Randy Holmes-Farley ?

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing TM balling part A and B; 2.5 liter each and I add 50 ml of A- elements in the part A. (Alk) and 50 ml of K+ elements in part B (CaCl2).

Is it ok to also add 30ml acetate and 20 ethanol to part B? That wouldn’t react with any of the trace elements?

This combo requires only two pumps :).

@Hans-Werner @Lou Ekus @Randy Holmes-Farley ?
In my opinion just me) you are missing the point of Balling by not using the PArt C. Additionally, I do not like to see acetate used in reef systems due to the oxygen consumption. It always feels a little "dangerous" to me.
Again, just my personal opinions.
If you are looking to keep your number of dosing pumps down, why not consider the All-For-Reef? Then you could accomplish almost all of this with one doser...
Again, just a thought to consider.

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion just me) you are missing the point of Balling by not using the PArt C. Additionally, I do not like to see acetate used in reef systems due to the oxygen consumption. It always feels a little "dangerous" to me.
Again, just my personal opinions.
If you are looking to keep your number of dosing pumps down, why not consider the All-For-Reef? Then you could accomplish almost all of this with one doser...
Again, just a thought to consider.
I find all-for-reef a remarkable product. Very tempted to use it. Perhaps the only point that stops me if that the carbocalcium requires bacteria to break-down the formate. It is more of a black-box step for me as compared to the simple and quick chemistry of dosing bicarb. I also didn't do the math yet of what is cheaper.

Also, my tank uses 2 dkh alk per day which means I would have to dose more all-for-reef that is recommended per day. Not sure how set-in-stone this recommended limit is...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find all-for-reef a remarkable product. Very tempted to use it. Perhaps the only point that stops me if that the carbocalcium requires bacteria to break-down the formate. It is more of a black-box step for me as compared to the simple and quick chemistry of dosing bicarb. I also didn't do the math yet of what is cheaper.

Also, my tank uses 2 dkh alk per day which means I would have to dose more all-for-reef that is recommended per day. Not sure how set-in-stone this recommended limit is...

There’s nothing special about that limit, but AFR will be more expensive.

Back