Unsure what this is please help

justin atmeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my new copper band in a qt tank for about three weeks, and my powder blue tang in quarantine for about 2 weeks (this is in copper), I’m starting to remove copper to observe for a week in clean saltwater before putting in my DT tank

Now on my copper band I’ve been noticing these white spots on his fins, and not sure if it’s ich or lympho, I’m leaning towards lympho as he’s in copper and ich wouldn’t have survived, also he had these spots and black lines around his fins when I bought him

Ps: I noticed minimal ich on my powder blue When I bought him but its completely gone now

IMG_6712.jpeg IMG_6699.jpeg IMG_6696.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef and sorry for your trouble!

Let's see if we can't get some help from the #fishmedic crew in here.

Now, just to cover a few possible questions before they get here:

-What size is the QT tank?
-How gave you been monitoring the copper levels?
-How are the other parameters in the tank?

Also, for future reference (don't do it this time), you can generally get helpf for these sorts of problems much faster when you post in the Reef2Reef disease forum linked below:

Reef Wizard

tomtheturkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With lympho it will start to look like nodules and kinda cauliflowery. Good Diet and water parameters will send it into remission.

Its a little difficult to judge I would keep Copper at 2.25ppm for copperband and monitor him. As Ich is the worse of the two.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going off the spot on the pectoral fin it looks more like lympho.
That said, 3 weeks is not enough time in copper to eradicate ich. You need to hold them at 2.25 ppm for 30 days to ensure they’re ich/velvet free.

OP
OP
J

justin atmeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef and sorry for your trouble!

Let's see if we can't get some help from the #fishmedic crew in here.

Now, just to cover a few possible questions before they get here:

-What size is the QT tank?
-How gave you been monitoring the copper levels?
-How are the other parameters in the tank?

Also, for future reference (don't do it this time), you can generally get helpf for these sorts of problems much faster when you post in the Reef2Reef disease forum linked below:
My qt is aqua one mini reef 160 so it’s a 160L,

I’m maintaining levels at 0.25ppm as I’m using copper sulphate and not chelated copper

I had an ammonia spike but quickly eradicated that

OP
OP
J

justin atmeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With lympho it will start to look like nodules and kinda cauliflowery. Good Diet and water parameters will send it into remission.

Its a little difficult to judge I would keep Copper at 2.25ppm for copperband and monitor him. As Ich is the worse of the two.
It’s been a couple of days and hasn’t dropped off, would ich have dropped of by now?

OP
OP
J

justin atmeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going off the spot on the pectoral fin it looks more like lympho.
That said, 3 weeks is not enough time in copper to eradicate ich. You need to hold them at 2.25 ppm for 30 days to ensure they’re ich/velvet free.
Can I monitor the last week of 30 days without having copper in the tank to see if and ich/velvet are being restrained from showing up?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I monitor the last week of 30 days without having copper in the tank to see if and ich/velvet are being restrained from showing up?
You can monitor for ich/velvet after the 30 days - the 30 days of copper at therapeutic levels should kill off ich/velvet, but you should not run the copper for less than 30 days.

My suggestion would be run the copper 30 days, treat for flukes just in case with PraziPro, then observe for two weeks - during the treatment/observation period, you should be able to see if ich/velvet presents itself.

Reef Wizard

tomtheturkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a couple of days and hasn’t dropped off, would ich have dropped of by now
More than likely and you would see more spots BUT with it being in copper it could be fighting off the remnants of ich and have partial immunity

But I am also leaning toward Lympho my CBB had it on his top spikes and it started small grew a little never seen anything else on him.

But I would continue Copper for the 30 days to be on the safe side

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve had my new copper band in a qt tank for about three weeks, and my powder blue tang in quarantine for about 2 weeks (this is in copper), I’m starting to remove copper to observe for a week in clean saltwater before putting in my DT tank

Now on my copper band I’ve been noticing these white spots on his fins, and not sure if it’s ich or lympho, I’m leaning towards lympho as he’s in copper and ich wouldn’t have survived, also he had these spots and black lines around his fins when I bought him

Ps: I noticed minimal ich on my powder blue When I bought him but its completely gone now

IMG_6712.jpeg IMG_6699.jpeg IMG_6696.jpeg
Your other thread has been answered and please refrain from cross posting as it takes away from others who too are seeking answers. Also please refrain from posting a common question as emergency. Emergency is someone in crisis situation who is losing fish or coral, has a chemistry issue or tank leak and needs immediate attention
The white spots are lymphocystis which is viral and not disease and often associayed with water quality typically affecting butterflies and full size angels.
Maintain good water quality and also do not pull copper until day 30 as you are defeating the QT period

Back