Velvet

Jamers442

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys i have lost approx 9 fish due to what I believe was Velvet and caused by the last fish I put in which was a Powder Blue, anyway I have ordered a new tank and was going to go fallow for 80 days but I have one Damsel left who has survived and looks totally healthy, could he have been the culprit? what can I do with him could I put him in QT without medication then after 80 days put him back in the main tank?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should move him to QT and medicate, then no fish in your display until after fallow period is over. Fish can certain host pathogens without showing symptoms, so medication is still advisable in my opinion.

OP
OP
Jamers442

Jamers442

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should move him to QT and medicate, then no fish in your display until after fallow period is over. Fish can certain host pathogens without showing symptoms, so medication is still advisable in my opinion.
Thanks how long should i treat him with copper and can i keep him in the QT for 80 days? Or is that too long?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish should be treated when velvet is present. The survivor should be put into copper qt for 30 days, and the display should remain fishless for 60 days (velvet is technically a 6 week, but the longer helps control for ich).
All new fish should be quarantined to prevent further outbreak.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi guys i have lost approx 9 fish due to what I believe was Velvet and caused by the last fish I put in which was a Powder Blue, anyway I have ordered a new tank and was going to go fallow for 80 days but I have one Damsel left who has survived and looks totally healthy, could he have been the culprit? what can I do with him could I put him in QT without medication then after 80 days put him back in the main tank?
Once in the system, its hard to say how it was introduced but with one fish left, I would leave the display tank fallow (without any fish, however the coral and inverts can remain) for 45-60 days.)
Treat the remaining fish with coppersafe which is the safest form at therapeutic level 2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone. Do not pass up medication as the same issue may occur in the quarantine tank. Use sterile, not tank water to set up the QT tank

OP
OP
Jamers442

Jamers442

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once in the system, its hard to say how it was introduced but with one fish left, I would leave the display tank fallow (without any fish, however the coral and inverts can remain) for 45-60 days.)
Treat the remaining fish with coppersafe which is the safest form at therapeutic level 2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone. Do not pass up medication as the same issue may occur in the quarantine tank. Use sterile, not tank water to set up the QT tank
Thanks mate ; )

Back