What is wrong with this Elegance coral

omerseymen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, i have moved my elegance coral on the of a rock and added one more light to my aquarium but it didnt like the water movement there(too much flow i guess)
It wasnt looking healthy and then i placed it on the sand in the corner of my aquarium but here are the photos of it.

What can cause these white jellyish things?
Is ist dangerous for my tank, should i remove it and can i save my coral?

Thx.

Water parameters are
Nitrate 15
Ammonia 0
phosphate 0.02
Kh 8

IMG_3445.jpeg IMG_3444.jpeg IMG_3399.jpeg IMG_3392.jpeg IMG_3391.jpeg IMG_3390.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many elegance corals perish in under 3 months or so, even in the best of environments.

Be wary of this coral.

That’s why LFS puts on sale after 2 months, they know….

On the flip side, some people claim years on end.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really irritated by something.

Those filaments are signs of it.

1) Sand could be on it and not enough flow

2) Can sense that goni and trying to be aggressive

3) Adjusitng to new flow and light situation. Not happy

4) Disease by bacterial infection. This issue of coral magazine had a really good article on treatment of elegance and rescue by marine biologist researchers

OP
OP
omerseymen

omerseymen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it might be expelling zooxanthellae. What is your lighting setup?
I have 2 ai primes
1 aquareef F80
Here are the schedules:

Attachments

• IMG_3447.png
    IMG_3447.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3448.png
    IMG_3448.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 16

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many elegance corals perish in under 3 months or so, even in the best of environments.

Be wary of this coral.

That’s why LFS puts on sale after 2 months, they know….

On the flip side, some people claim years on end.

Honestly this is why it’s best practice to only buy with full intact skeleton. And asking how long they have held the coral before selling.

Tidal gardens sold me one they have for more than half a year through QT. And it’s thriving in my tank.

They respond so poorly to fragging and it’s a shame some places get them in, instantly frag them and then try to sell before they die.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly this is why it’s best practice to only buy with full intact skeleton. And asking how long they have held the coral before selling.

Tidal gardens sold me one they have for more than half a year through QT. And it’s thriving in my tank.

They respond so poorly to fragging and it’s a shame some places get them in, instantly frag them and then try to sell before they die.
I think holding and QT would go a long way at increasing survival rates, but my LFS just moves them along before the issues start. They want to turn mostly everything, monthly. I’d start to ask life expectancy on many LPS if I thought I’d get an honest answer.

They know the risk, just like Long tentacles Plates, but, if it dies with them, that’s a big loss. So that risk is reduced by moving them faster.

OP
OP
omerseymen

omerseymen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are how it looked like on the top of a rock

And the last one was 3 weeks before

Attachments

• IMG_3313.jpeg
    IMG_3313.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3312.jpeg
    IMG_3312.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3311.jpeg
    IMG_3311.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 2E49F17A-81A0-4D9A-9EE8-45FEC10A019B.jpeg
    2E49F17A-81A0-4D9A-9EE8-45FEC10A019B.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3326.png
    IMG_3326.png
    228.1 KB · Views: 9

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are how it looked like on the top of a rock

And the last one was 3 weeks before
Needs more flow I think

The body extends but not the tentacles. And the body doesn’t look like it’s being pushed to one side so not a problem with too much flow

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the white mucus is a telltale sign of Elegance Coral Syndrome. Your coral is very unlikely to survive unless you do a freshwater dip for 5-10 mins right away, but the a FWD is very risky and even if they survive the initial dip, the coral may never properly recover.

I've dealt with this numerous times. Right now, I'm trying to bring a Rasta Elegance back to life, making good progress but extremely slow recovery.

OP
OP
omerseymen

omerseymen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the white mucus is a telltale sign of Elegance Coral Syndrome. Your coral is very unlikely to survive unless you do a freshwater dip for 5-10 mins right away, but the a FWD is very risky and even if they survive the initial dip, the coral may never properly recover.

I've dealt with this numerous times. Right now, I'm trying to bring a Rasta Elegance back to life, making good progress but extremely slow recovery.
So, should i remove it from the tank?

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t think that would help unless you have an established tank.

You should do some cocktail antibiotic baths or dips. The magazine for treatment is at home so can’t say the specific treatment plan.

But maybe try the KFC coral dip plan for BJD.

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I mean, it won't affect anything other than another Elegance. ECS has no known cure really, beyond trying a FWD and perhaps a series of Oxolinic Acid dips. I don't want to say don't bother trying, because I absolutely love Elegance and of course we all want to help our animals survive any illness, but it's going to be a very difficult recovery. I would try a 5 to 10 minute freshwater dip. It may kill it, but it'll die anyway if you don't try it.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, it won't affect anything other than another Elegance. ECS has no known cure really, beyond trying a FWD and perhaps a series of Oxolinic Acid dips. I don't want to say don't bother trying, because I absolutely love Elegance and of course we all want to help our animals survive any illness, but it's going to be a very difficult recovery. I would try a 5 to 10 minute freshwater dip. It may kill it, but it'll die anyway if you don't try it.

The newest issue of coral magazine, actually shows marine scientist experiments and their findings. It shows a detailed protocol for treating ECS that led to recovered corals. But its extremely dependent on the stage of the disease, once it goes to tissue loss, it seems its too late to save any of it.

But ECS is scary, apparently it stays in the system and your system will no longer be safe for elegance corals.

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The newest issue of coral magazine, actually shows marine scientist experiments and their findings. It shows a detailed protocol for treating ECS that led to recovered corals. But its extremely dependent on the stage of the disease, once it goes to tissue loss, it seems its too late to save any of it.

But ECS is scary, apparently it stays in the system and your system will no longer be safe for elegance corals.

Could you let me know which issue that is? I'd love to read this.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back