Deflated RBTA

timdyer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby. I put an RBTA in my 16g nano after being assured by two separate stores it was ok to do so. The RBTA was attached to a rock. I put the rock in the aquarium and it soon started wondering around the tank. The picture is the RBTA 6 days in my tank. Today, day 6, it attached to the rock. Is it normal for the RBTA to be deflated for a week or so when placed in a new tank? What can I do to make sure he likes his new home?

The first picture is the RBTA at the store. Second picture is in my tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 570
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 732

Darth Polymnus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically you want a bigger tank that's been cycled for over a year. The point there is stability. A smaller tank can experience parameter swings that will annoy the anemone. But to answer your question, yes it's normal for the anemone to deflate in a new tank.

CoralReeforrest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically you want a bigger tank that's been cycled for over a year. The point there is stability. A smaller tank can experience parameter swings that will annoy the anemone. But to answer your question, yes it's normal for the anemone to deflate in a new tank.

This is definitely a good point. As for your nem, did you do a good slow acclimation or did you just throw him in??nems are quite sensitive and require stability and the right flow. My brother has his rbta in a 30 biocube and it moves daily as it still has yet to find its sweet spot. So good luck with yours. Deflation is also relevant to lighting. They require bright lighting to be happy. What lighting do you have? Tank params?

OP
OP
T

timdyer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No this is a new one. I just bought him last week from my local store. He looked like this a few days ago.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1405032745.704086.jpg

OP
OP
T

timdyer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The older one is looking better and getting his color back. He moved around some and I upgraded to a kessil a150w. The old one still hasn't bubbled up yet. ;-(

Tank parameters are all in check as of two days ago. pH dropped a little today.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1405032884.445762.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1405032906.801324.jpg

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about them not bubbling up. mine have long tentacles by day and bubbles at night... i've had some that never bubbled at all. they both look pretty stressed out especially the one with the mouth gaping open. do you have a breeder box?
the reason i asked this question is you have Clarkii's in with those nems. of all the clowns I've owned my clarkiis were always the most aggressive with the nems never really leaving them. if those clowns took the the anemones without time for proper acclimation they may be extremely stressed out which is leading to them looking like this. try placing them in a breeder box for a few days to get used to the new lights, water parameters. Then after a week or so when they start looking better release them into the display tank
best of luck

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a small tear but BTA's are hardy nems. As long as you have good stable parameters and clean water they should bounce back in a stress free environment

OP
OP
T

timdyer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1405233322.915320.jpg

He is looking better, I think. I will take a better pic tomorrow with the lights on. The mouth is closed again.

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks much better small feedings will help now. Take the old Nintendo approach of quality over quantity here. Too much food the digestion will use up too much energy and cause more stress give it a piece of fresh shrimp slightly smaller than the size of its mouth every three days

OP
OP
T

timdyer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! Thanks a lot! What about the RBTA that is on the back of a rock that I cannot reach. Not worry about feeding it?

Also, do you have any idea what type of nem the green one is?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back