Anemone Recommendations?

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.
My current aquarium has been up and running for almost seven years now. It is a 48"x22"x18" which houses my pair of Bandit Angelfish. I run this system much differently than the typical reef aquarium.
So here are some specs on the system:
Water Temperature: Varies with the seasons, Winter 52F Summer 68F
Lighting: Ambient Room Light
Skimmer: ATB Cone
Water Flow: Tunze NanoStream x4
Return Pump: Eheim 1262
Livestock: Apolemichthys arcuatus (Bandit Angelfish)x2
50# Liverock.

The water temperature is always cool. Dont be alarmed by the drastic swing, that is over an entire year.

So my question is, are there any anemones that may do well in type of setup? I know 68 is too warm for many cold water anemones, so are there any options?

Thanks for any assistance.

~Michael

Edudek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk... I know bubble tips are like the number nems lol

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTAs usually require warmer temps than this tank, though. I'd bet there are some coldwater nems you could get, but that's beyond my level...I stick to the tropical stuff. ;)

OP
OP
M

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite a true coldwater display, as my water temps hit 68 in the summer. I am not certain how these coldwater species would handle a more temperate aquarium...

Thanks for the input though.

~Michael

Edudek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was just saying they are the best lol hope you can find one

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a pretty wide temperature swing. Do you know of a region where the water temperatures vary that much? That might be a good way to try and find some possible candidates.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you will be able to keep any of the hosting anemones at those winter temps --- which I understand is required for your bandits.

Given that they are bandits, I would skip the anemone to keep them healthy.

Summer4infinity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is older, but I thought I could share some info if you are still needing it by any chance. I keep temperate marine aquariums, and in the first summer, like an idiot, I did not have a chiller. In my experience the giant green surf anemones (Anthopleura xanthogrammica) would do just fine in with your tank temperatures, especially if the temperature change is very gradual, and they aren't kept at the warmer temperatures permanently. My first tank climbed to 86 degrees at one point in the first summer (not good!) but it was very gradual. When the water temperature reached the high 70's, the green's expelled their zooxanthellae, but survived, and now thrive in my 120 gallon lobster-tank turned temperate reef system (kept at 55 degrees). Aggregating anemones (Anthopleura elegantissima) actually seemed to do very well in the warmer temperatures, but in my larger tank have been very difficult to keep well fed, except for the largest specimens. I'm not sure how these anemones would be with your angelfish though. I have not personally experienced any fish loss by anemone, but know a few people that have. Anyway, I hope this helps! And Coldwater Marine Aquatics is a great place to get these anemones, just in case you haven't visited their site yet. :)

Summer4infinity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is older, but I thought I could share some info if you are still needing it by any chance. I keep temperate marine aquariums, and in the first summer, like an idiot, I did not have a chiller. In my experience the giant green surf anemones (Anthopleura xanthogrammica) would do just fine in with your tank temperatures, especially if the temperature change is very gradual, and they aren't kept at the warmer temperatures permanently. My first tank climbed to 86 degrees at one point in the first summer (not good!) but it was very gradual. When the water temperature reached the high 70's, the green's expelled their zooxanthellae, but survived, and now thrive in my 120 gallon lobster-tank turned temperate reef system (kept at 55 degrees). Aggregating anemones (Anthopleura elegantissima) actually seemed to do very well in the warmer temperatures, but in my larger tank have been very difficult to keep well fed, except for the largest specimens. I'm not sure how these anemones would be with your angelfish though. I have not personally experienced any fish loss by anemone, but know a few people that have. Anyway, I hope this helps! And Coldwater Marine Aquatics is a great place to get these anemones, just in case you haven't visited their site yet. :)

PS, I say "like an idiot, because around where I live, the ocean stays around 50-55 degrees year round, and in hindsight I should not have attempted some of the species that I did. I had no idea that the temperatures would climb that high. I sort of fell into this hobby, (long story, but the coldwater marine tank was the first aquarium I've kept) and learned most of the early stuff by trial and error. Compared to tropical systems, the information on temperate marine systems is very limited. I did learn a lot about what temperatures certain things could handle though. :)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back