How to tell if you have 2 female clowns?

Mallowolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
So I have had an adult onyx snowflake clown fish for a few weeks in my 75 gallon and decided to get another clown for it to pair up with. I had a small white clown a few weeks ago, but it ended up in my sump and died (we fixed the problem though!) I went to my LFS and they had a sale on these white clownfish . They were so beautiful, so I bought one. I didn't realize how big they were until I got the new guy home. I'd say he's around 2 inches, while my snowflake is around 3. I've had the new one since last Wednesday. Now when I had my last clownfish, he was tiny. Both clowns left each other alone. The snowflake has been chasing the new clownfish a lot, but not attacking it. The white clown hasn't been doing that submissive dance thingy, but has been acting submissive as in, never going near the snowflake. He pretty much stays in one top corner of my tank, while the snowflake swims freely around.

Is this normal? or do I have 2 females on my hands? If they are just sorting out whose the boss, how long does that usually take? I feel kinda bad for the new clownfish. If I have to, I will separate them as I have a 29 gallon biocube up and running too.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gosh, I'm not sure how one figures that out with clowns the size of yours......I would think that the smaller may be a male because if it was two females, I would think they both would be fighting....bump for your question because in reality i don't know lol

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is normal clownfish behavior. If they were in fact both female neither would back down from the other. It sounds like the new one is skittish being the new guy on the block and all. It is also possible that your other clown is still a male as well. Either way, if they aren't tearing each other up then you will be fine.

OP
OP
Mallowolf

Mallowolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thanks a bunch! How long does it usually take before they pair up?

chiblackhawks4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats interesting. I wonder if you have two males how long it takes for one to transform into a female.

OP
OP
Mallowolf

Mallowolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news! The white clown started doing his twitchy submissive dance when the snowflake gets close! :)

DaniSLOelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! We did the same as you but our snowflake is the smaller of the two and they are fine together going on two months now.

OP
OP
Mallowolf

Mallowolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm just really happy they worked things out! Those designer clowns are my favorite fish, I didn't wanna have to separate them!

MrsDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to marine (about 4 months). I have a pair of ocellaris clowns and caught them swimming in a tight circle today, almost twisting their bodies around each other. Then I realized the larger one had the smaller ones anal fin in its mouth and was pulling on it or maybe biting it! I haven't noticed any bullying and I've had these two for the last 2 months. Would be awesome if they were pairing up.

Sn4k33Y3z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can hold up a magazine with a pair of shoes In front of the glass, and if they swim towards it BAM you have female fish :)

MrsDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaha. Just one problem, I spend my money on my tanks instead of shoes and clothes and I definitely don't have any magazines with shoes in it. Hmmm, maybe I can google some shoe sales and hold the phone up to the tank? ;)

Habibi Brizzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to bring up this thread again. I have the similar issue. I had a pair for about 4 months and I separated the two. I then added another and it has been getting bullied, so much so that I see torn fins. The newbie doesn't fight back or anything.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to bring up this thread again. I have the similar issue. I had a pair for about 4 months and I separated the two. I then added another and it has been getting bullied, so much so that I see torn fins. The newbie doesn't fight back or anything.
What are their sizes?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back