Bacterial infection on my clown? Looking for advice!!

WallEyes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on Saturday I noticed my clown was a little splotchy on his forehead, this morning it is quite a bit worse.. any idea what could be causing this? He seems more high energy, racing around the tank.

Please Help !

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg

peterthegamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a qt tank? If so, try to get him out of the main tank into that.

OP
OP
W

WallEyes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a spare tank, i've noticed an ongoing sense of "display" between her and my sixline wrasse. I'm guessing this is the issue at hand

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a spare tank, i've noticed an ongoing sense of "display" between her and my sixline wrasse. I'm guessing this is the issue at hand

Sixlines can get testy and do damage to other fish; especially as they get bigger. Obviously, I would remove the sixline. As for the clown, you have two options:

1. Remove to a QT and treat with an antibiotic to help heal. Erythromycin or kanamycin (i.e. Kanaplex) should do the trick.

2. Leave in the DT, and hope his immune system can beat the infection on it's own. You can help boost his natural immune system by soaking the fish food in vitamin supplements (ex. Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem).

Ep3n3wp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does she lay eggs? I've notice that my vlamingi tang and female clown get into it every once in a while... And its due to the vlamingi getting near the eggs around hatching day...

OP
OP
W

WallEyes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No she does not lay eggs, but both clowns actually "clean" off my star polyps that are growing on the back glass when they close up! Its comical to watch, and would be too funny if she decided to lay eggs on the GSP. I might have to add a pot, or tile to the tank so they get accustomed to that. Eventually I will raise their young!!! Can't wait for that.

Now my play is to do a larger water change and hope his immune boosts. The sixline is now at the store hanging out with some fully mature clownfish (about x4 his size) so hopefully they straighten him out for his new home!

Thanks for all the advice. When I first noticed this I had too many irrational things going through my head because my clowns mean a lot to me and would hate for an illness to take either away.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How you been humblefish? :)

Sixlines can get testy and do damage to other fish; especially as they get bigger. Obviously, I would remove the sixline. As for the clown, you have two options:

1. Remove to a QT and treat with an antibiotic to help heal. Erythromycin or kanamycin (i.e. Kanaplex) should do the trick.

2. Leave in the DT, and hope his immune system can beat the infection on it's own. You can help boost his natural immune system by soaking the fish food in vitamin supplements (ex. Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back