Glass drilling please help

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I get a tank drilled around here? I haven't been able to find anyone that is willing to drill a tank.

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you thought about drilling it yourself? most glass shops that do commercial work and install large mirrors etc will drill them, they usally want 45 + per hole though, and the bits can be picked up at most big box stores for 24+ and you can drill quite a few hole for that. just a thought,

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its tempered it will shatter, so it depends on the glass you have (it should have a sticker that says if it is tempered or not) the new premier issue of "Coral&Reef USA" magazine has a great DIY on drilling glass and it is really easy to do. you might check that out too.
Where can I get a tank drilled around here? I haven't been able to find anyone that is willing to drill a tank.

OP
OP
P

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you thought about drilling it yourself? most glass shops that do commercial work and install large mirrors etc will drill them, they usally want 45 + per hole though, and the bits can be picked up at most big box stores for 24+ and you can drill quite a few hole for that. just a thought,
When you say most glass shops, do you have an particular shops that you know of that will drill a tank? I have been calling around and no one really wants to touch it. I am trying to avoid drilling it myself just so that I won't have to blame myself if it breaks. But if worse comes to worse I will drill it.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save the money and drill yourself. I'm 8/8 so far. Buy a good glass hole saw, get a good cordless drill. Make a bit guide out of a piece of plywood. Clamp it to the glass, fill hole in wood with water. Start drilling, light pressure let weight of drill press threw. Use lots of water to keep it cool. Steady pressure on the trigger and let drill do the work. Also put a good masking tape on inside of hole or padding under it to keep from falling out and breaking glass on other side.

Last edited:

dhutcheson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have drilled several myself and agree with, do it yourself. If you break it or the glass shop breaks it. Your out either way no guarantees. Just follow the advice above, use plenty of water and go slow.

ironman

CRC Whipping Boy (round 2)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Binswanger glass in chattanooga used to drill holes for $30 a hole. its been a few years since they drilled one for me. Keep in mine they will not guarantee anything. Tempered glass cant be drilled so if you dont know if its tempered or not its even a bigger risk. I took them four tanks once cause i didnt know if they were tempered or not, 3 of the four were! found out after they broke them! I have also drilled several myself, it isnt that hard just take your time and be careful, sometimes they just break anyway. These days i buy reef ready tanks and avoid the problem all together! What size tank is it?

v8fla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are local to Chattanooga, I have a glass bit you can borrow.. i believe its for a 3/4 bulkhead.

OP
OP
P

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Binswanger glass in chattanooga used to drill holes for $30 a hole. its been a few years since they drilled one for me. Keep in mine they will not guarantee anything. Tempered glass cant be drilled so if you dont know if its tempered or not its even a bigger risk. I took them four tanks once cause i didnt know if they were tempered or not, 3 of the four were! found out after they broke them! I have also drilled several myself, it isnt that hard just take your time and be careful, sometimes they just break anyway. These days i buy reef ready tanks and avoid the problem all together! What size tank is it?
The tank is a 29gal. I contacted the manufacturer to confirm the tank was not tempered. I have been throwing around quite a few drain ideas lately and have finally decided on BeanAnimal's Bar and Grill - Silent and Fail-Safe Overflow System I will be scaling it down since it handle can so much flow. so now i just have to figure out how to get a total of 4 holes in my tank. I have one other company i am going to call to see if they will drill it and if they wont i will be DIY with much help from R2R

OP
OP
P

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phil I used binswanger as well to drill a hole, but they dont garuntee it. You are almost better just buying the tank from a custom tank manufacturer
I am considering doing this. Once I compare all the prices I will know more about it but I have been looking into it.

OP
OP
P

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remembered that my Dad has a drill press that my tank will fit on so I am going to go for the DIY. Is there any certain of brand of bit that does better or are they all about the same?

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have drilled several myself and agree with, do it yourself. If you break it or the glass shop breaks it. Your out either way no guarantees. Just follow the advice above, use plenty of water and go slow.

+1. I was scared to do my first one and now wouldn't let a glass shop get near a tank. Practice on a piece of junk glass. 1 try and u will be an expert
ALSO- go to glass-holes.com they sell inexpensive bits. I used one today actually in a solana and it did great. Their overflow kits are really really quiet too!

Last edited:

ironman

CRC Whipping Boy (round 2)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be causious of a drill press, it sounds good but you cant apply pressure or the glass will break, with a drill press you cant really control the pressure you are putting on the glass.

OP
OP
P

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be causious of a drill press, it sounds good but you cant apply pressure or the glass will break, with a drill press you cant really control the pressure you are putting on the glass.
I am going to get a few pieces of glass to practice with from work so I can get practice. The drill press has a depth adjustment so I'm going to play around with and and see if I can find a way to use it to adjust the pressure on the bit.

OP
OP
P

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. I was scared to do my first one and now wouldn't let a glass shop get near a tank. Practice on a piece of junk glass. 1 try and u will be an expert
ALSO- go to glass-holes.com they sell inexpensive bits. I used one today actually in a solana and it did great. Their overflow kits are really really quiet too!
Just placed my order, I have a bit and the bulkheads on the way. Thanks for the website! Can't beat free shipping!!

dhutcheson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the drill press caution. I would recommend a variable speed hand drill and patience let the bit do the work, pressure will break the glass. In addition I recommend using painters tape under the hole to prevent the glass disk from the hole falling through and breaking the glass. A good way to keep the glass lubed and cool is building a water dam with plumbers putty and lots of water There is a good video of this method on you tube.

findad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the drill press caution. I would recommend a variable speed hand drill and patience let the bit do the work, pressure will break the glass. In addition I recommend using painters tape under the hole to prevent the glass disk from the hole falling through and breaking the glass. A good way to keep the glass lubed and cool is building a water dam with plumbers putty and lots of water There is a good video of this method on you tube.

+2 on glass holes,I drilled my 4' 120 for the 1500 gallon kit. It was my first attempt, and kinda exciting, but after the first one I changed my plans and put 4 returns in too.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back