My clam wants to lay low

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clam doesn't want to stay up right. I've done what i was told to put a flat rock underneath. And it stays for a while but return on its side. Then i put rock besides it it still manage to go on its side.

I thought the lights might be to strong, she's on the bottom. Its a Tridacna crocea , The sand is 2" deep, but the rock i just put a week ago didn't help either.

Any ideas?? She seems fine 3" wide i feed Utlraclam, Ultramin S, UltraOrganic, UltraminS Ultraseafan thats all for my sponges and gorgonias so she's getting her fair share plus phytoplankton every 2 days.

Photo083.jpg

Yourwrasseismine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who said to put a rock under it...put it in the sand and let it do its thing.....what kind of light is above it? Could be moving to try and find a better spot if its not recieving enough light

Tom@HaslettMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a concave shaped rock. It sounds odd but an empty clam shell works well.

The tipping is likely because it has not attached yet. If it is in a higher flow area that may be making it uncomfortable.

Also it looks more like a T. maxima to me.

Tom

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The tipping is likely because it has not attached yet. If it is in a higher flow area that may be making it uncomfortable.

Tom

Actually it is a Maxima i got confused lol i use to have a crocea . Well its now on a small rock to help her attached herself if she wants too. I'm not forcing her . I'm letting her choose the position she's comfortable i guess. Some one pointed out that since i'm feeding her she may not need all that light i'm giving her and prefers a side position. I do have quite a bit of flow in that area, that could also be it. So i'm going to let her be. Others seem to have that issue so i'm less worried now. Thanks guys for your input. I'll keep updating her progress.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it me or does that clam look to be Gaping? that mouth is really wide no? Maybe I'm wrong...

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it me or does that clam look to be Gaping? that mouth is really wide no? Maybe I'm wrong...

No its gaping i've red some about how and why, houston is on the problem lol. Checking my parameters, not sure what, will make night rounds to see if parasite is there.... still investigating. will advise Houston out .

Barky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three clams and one has been on its side for 3yrs now. I dont mess with it because that will just irritate it. I figure it will be happy however it places itself

Rollininthehay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It needs to be on rock work. Maxima and crocea are both rock boring clams. Will be much happier on a rock it can dig into

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tom

This!

I have three clams and one has been on its side for 3yrs now. I dont mess with it because that will just irritate it. I figure it will be happy however it places itself

And this!

I'd leave it be and not mess with it. Gaping isn't really a bad thing IMHO.

Back