Clams hard to find??

JenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking to add a clam or two to my tank. Is there a shortage of clams these days? I've found it hard to find good deals or any LFS that even have them in stock :eek:oh:

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never see them in stores here in NY, always have to search the internet. Petco has a few and they are always doing deals every other week discounting them.
I got my Crocea and Derasa from them. Both were nice sized 3-4 inches. My derasa died after i tried moving her to my new tank and the wife interfered and i dropped her back in the tank. the fall was a big shock and she didnt make the move. My Crocea is going strong though, has grown about a half inch and has been attached very firmly to the rock i first placed her on. I count a half inch from the white showing on the edge of her shell.

I see other places carrying 2" Maximas but they go for $100 or better. IMO thats a lot for a 2" clam.

I actually caught a sweet deal recently (I think). Picked up a near 6" Maxima for $100. Thing is HUGE and looking great. I think im going to keep that source a secret though. LOL. But if you shop around you will find them.

Look on Craigslist too.... dont just search clams though, throw in corals or reef... things show up.

Last edited:

cryptics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Mac is the guy to go to for clams. My LFS has them regularly so I usually just get them there but I always grab one when there is a swap near me and Dr. Mac is there.

OP
OP
JenB

JenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions :) Yeah - I'm having a hard time justifying $100 or more for a 2inch clam :( I'll keep an eye out though!

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140804_193530.jpg

20140804_193256.jpg

These are the 2 I just picked up 1 is about 6 inches other is just over 5. The smaller one is my crocea from petco its about 3.75 inches.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only got the crocea from petco. Thats the smaller purple looking one in the top pic. I also had gotten a derasa from them that was beautiful but it died when i dropped it trying to change tanks.
Petco online has them. look there, wait for a sale, it will show you the regular price and the sale price.

The 2 bigger maximas I am going to keep my source a secret for now. Sorry, lol.

Last edited:

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've ordered quite a few things from my secret source. I think I am ready to help out on this.
my 2 ultra maximas above i got from him and a few other things as well.
If you PM me i will give you a list of available items, including a few 5-6" clams priced at about $130, if you buy more than 1 he will do a deal with you.
Same on his corals too.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back