T. Maxima and Light?

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a lil 3" T. Maxima. Doing well so far, 2wks in the tank today. I've placed it on a holder center tank on the SB. This area is my known "hot spot" and why I chose it for the clam. Higher light right?
Well I've noticed the clam doesn't open very wide during the higher lighting periods. Actually opens best during blues only and when the Lunars come on.
Will it eventually acclimate to the "hot spot" or should I move it? Via a Seneye Reef monitor par meter, the "hot spot" has a par of 265.

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave it be as long as it is healthy and give it time to acclimate; whatever potential stress exists from the change in lighting is likely less than that of moving it around. I would sooner decrease how long my daylights were on and gradually ramp back up. I have a crocea that took a little time to find its happy spot but has been doing great; maximas and croceas prefer to be on the rock work from my understanding; good luck!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any pic's of the clams current location in relation to the lights?

What fish and inverts do you have?

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the crappy pics. iPhone/iPads is all I have.

2wks ago, much more open.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427042139.003138.jpg

Today after 2wks in exact same spot. Nothing bothers it at all. It reacts quickly to sudden movements and changes in light. Mantel dose seem to have faded/browned a bit also.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427042297.532598.jpg

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really doubt the light is the issue. 250+ PAR is kind of the minimum for Maximas long-term.

In the second pic it actually looks like he has a different problem. Is he getting a lot of flow or is the mantle pushed up like that naturally? Each time I have seen that odd mantle extension it was a precursor to death. Lets hope not this time!

When my clams are closed up from too much light they tend to retract into the shell, not jut their mantle upward.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really doubt the light is the issue. 250+ PAR is kind of the minimum for Maximas long-term.

In the second pic it actually looks like he has a different problem. Is he getting a lot of flow or is the mantle pushed up like that naturally? Each time I have seen that odd mantle extension it was a precursor to death. Lets hope not this time!

When my clams are closed up from too much light they tend to retract into the shell, not jut their mantle upward.

+1

My clams generally retract after a few hours with intense light, but don't look quite like that. I also agree with the PAR, in my experience 200-300 is the minimum. But I don't have any maximas that small, so not 100% on the mantle retraction.

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stinks, sorry to hear it; I would guess that it's demise was not due to anything in your system, may have not been healthy from the get go:(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back