DIY Algae Scrubber

dbg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have some DIY algae scrubber pics/plans?! I just built this, but I want to see some others!

Attachments

• DSCN0870.jpg
    DSCN0870.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 5,499

straydog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump and display have lids to reduce evaporation so I built mine a little different the water from the display drains onto the scrubber screen that is held in place by a drip tray. I like using this method since I dont have to use a pump to feed the scrubber.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built one for my cube -I couldn't be happier with it!

Attachments

• IMAG0108.jpg
    IMAG0108.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,031
  • IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 918
  • IMG_0384.jpg
    IMG_0384.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 883
OP
OP
dbg

dbg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!
@ StrayDog- So, does your scrubber sit horizontally? I can't quite tell, but that is cool that you don't have to use a pump.

@BadCompany- In your second picture from the top... Is that glass or acrylic being used as a splash guard, and how is it held in place?

Have your scrubbers worked well to reduce nuisance display algae?

straydog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sits horizontal the drip tray that the scrubber lays in is just below the trim of the sump there is always about an 1/8 inch of water flowing over the scrubber. So far there is no algie growing in the display evcept coralline algie and the algie that gets on the glass . But this system is way over stocked with 10 fish .

OP
OP
dbg

dbg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, gotchya. That's cool. I'm hoping to do some before and after pics of my tank. How big is your tank StrayDog?

@ Eternal- That looks really clean. Did you have a plastic place build the box for you, or did you buy acrylic and do it yourself? I'd really like to make something like that if you've got the plans for it.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!

@BadCompany- In your second picture from the top... Is that glass or acrylic being used as a splash guard, and how is it held in place?

Have your scrubbers worked well to reduce nuisance display algae?

Two of the acrylic pieces are resting on the pvc pipe via stainless bolts and nuts, the other two just rest in place. Occasionally I drop one in, but they work well, and maintenance is a breeze. I spend 30 minutes a week TOTAL upkeeping my tank minus fish feeding.

OP
OP
dbg

dbg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to see lilmatty5dimes 7.5, but I'm not sure if it was yours... for some reason, I couldnt get the link to work.

I spend 30 minutes a week TOTAL upkeeping my tank minus fish feeding.

BadCompany, that is legit that you don't have to do too much... I hope mine works that well!!!

I had to redo mine today... I had a Magdrive 7 on mine previously, and it was waaaay too many GPH!!!! It was making a mess in my sump compartment.I just switched it out with a 264 GPH Harbor Freight "special." We'll see how that works ;)

Attachments

• DSCN0874.jpg
    DSCN0874.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 703
Last edited:
OP
OP
dbg

dbg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your results?

I couldn't tell ya yet.... I've had a bad problem with my tank (see my post Coral is Dying. Thoughts?) that wiped out all the algae in the display. It still hasn't been resolved yet, and my coral don't look very well. That being said, my scrubber has started to grow algae on it, and there is still no algae in my display; however, I believe that it will be months before I could really show results from the scrubber, just like Bad Company has said.

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you rough up the plastic sheet? A rougher surface helps algae to attach better... run a hole saw or something similar over it until it's cactus-rough...might make it work better :]
Good work!

OP
OP
dbg

dbg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey SantaMonicaHelp! I've seen a lot of your scrubbers- they're awesome. I did use a hole saw bit to rough up the sheet, it's just not visible in the pics. Thanks for the advice though!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back