Topping off tank help

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend I'll be leaving for 5 days. Going to get someone to feed my fish. The thing is that I don't want the pouring to much water to top of the tank. I lose about a half to one gallon a day. The question is " has anyone ever made something that drips one gallon a day and I have a 7 gallon bucket I can fill up to put the one gallon a day back in??? Crazy right

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... it is called an ATO or Auto Top Off. They usually have some sort of water level monitor and a small pump.

In this case, you may just want to use blue painters tape and have them fill it to the top of your tape line each day. Invest in an auto top off system before your next trip. You will be glad that you did.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+++1
Many different systems to chose from depending on budget. Most can be set up in a half hour, then you just have to fill your reservoir once a week or so.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a float valve off of my RODI system, its pressurized. I don't use a container or reservoir. Simple and works great.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you ever worried that if your float valve goes bad you might flood your house by over filling?

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not get someone a 1/2g jug and a bucket of RODI and ask them to pour that in.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you ever worried that if your float valve goes bad you might flood your house by over filling?

A float valve is more reliable than a float switch and doesn't need power. My risk is slightly greater since I am pressure feeding the float valve.

Last edited:

Wbrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a gravity fed top off for over 8years. First one was a 5 gal bucket. I drilled a hole hear the bottom on one side and put a rubber stopper in it tightly. The rubber stopper had a hole through the middle of it. I shoved some IV tubing from the hospital I work at through the hole. Fill the bucket, have it higher than your sump, or tank and regulate however many drops per minute you need to equal your top off needs. Mine ends up being around one drop every 2-3 seconds. For straight RODI, the tubing will last for well over a year. Less than that if you top off with kalkwasser...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back