hacking an rf module

DirtinLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone made a DIY rf module for their ecotech pumps...

I know 45 bucks plus shipping doesn't sound like allot but considering

you can buy an arduino rf modulator for under 2 bucks ... just wondering

if anyone has done it?

Thanx in advance as always

-=Fred=-

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't appear anyone has done it. I need to learn Arduino. I will be talking to my 14 yo nephew over Xmas I think lol.

OP
OP
DirtinLa

DirtinLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems an rf module is an rf module. But really I have no clue

Ehay had the arduino rf modules for a 1.50 but the pins have a different orientation

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found pics easily enough. I dunno enough to even ask questions, but wouldn't you have to know and be able to set the right frequency? Or do they all run on some std?

I actually want the hack where you connect the two controllers with a simple piece of wire. The idea that it should cost $45 and use radio frequencies to connect two devices that are in my (and probably many) cases less than an inch apart borders on absurd. I would bet it's as simple as connecting two of those connector pins.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are OK posting the links as long as it is not to a personal ebay sale area where you are the one there to make the money. Many DIY builds use parts from ebay so the instructions require links. However if you say "hey I am building these and selling them on ebay" then it becomes commercial.

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my curiosity about connecting two Vortech controllers by wire rather than with the rf units has grown.

Have you learned anything about the pin outs for those Vortech rf units? It seems possible that connecting one or two jumpers from one unit to another could do the same thing as the dc unit.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't you need to know the commends that need to be sent between the two units?

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't you need to know the commends that need to be sent between the two units?

I see what you are saying but I'm assuming that the commands and logic are built into the base controller unit and that the rf unit is simply a two way radio.

It's probably more complex than I assume. But it would seem there would be an input jumper for commands sent and a receiving jumper for those received. There would be pins for a power supply to the rf unit, and maybe a jumper to tell the controller an rf module was present.

But like I said it's possibly far more complex and I'm not the guy with the knowledge to be able to sort it out. But I will reiterate that's it's stupid to have to spend $90 so two controllers separated by one inch can communicate wirelessly.

OP
OP
DirtinLa

DirtinLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mods Please lock down this thread

After extensive research it seems that the rf board from ectech is proprietary. Unlike others that ripoff existing parts, ecotech doesn't.

Hence their 45.00 asking price seems reasonable...

I would like to reference this thread as the stop all, if I may:

Reefing The Australian Way Forums ? View topic - Arduino/Freetronics and Vortech RF

They seemed to try and reverse engineer a different project and ended up using the ecotech rf module because of it's propietary nature and REASONABLE cost

thanx to everyone... oh and ecotech you rock!!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back