29 Biocube Sump Refugium HELP!

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my 29 gallon Biocube for almost a year now and am looking to better the tank. I have been watching tons of youtube videos on sump refugims that people have built for their biocube. I understand the concept and design but am far from a pro at putting it all together..... what I am searching is a blueprint sort of thing to help me out, maybe a step by step process.... I have a basic coralife biocube skimmer I would like to upgrade but am unsure what I would need... I am basically searching somebody who has done this successfully that is willing to give a helping hand. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all!!!!

scooterc268

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you see this as this is a few weeks old.

I have a refugium in my middle section of a 14g biocube. The middle section tray was taken out, a peice of small plastic grate (it was something lying around) was put in its place as it needed to be bigger for the flow.

The divider near the top of the middle and return side was notched so that the flow would go over to the return (path of least resistance) and not down through the area where the sponge is at.

Put your skimmer in the 1st section and I use chemi-pure blue (pre-bagged). That is placed in the retur section.

The back of the biocube, the middle section, scrape off the black paint (if it's painted). You will need to get a refugium light. Jbj has a model that affixes to the back glass. There's another brand as well that uses magnets, you could get stunner strips, LED strips from hardware store, etc..

I had tanks with sumps/fuges. But I always liked my all in one systems like Biocube, NanoCube, and RedSea Max. Why not keep that style? It's less worry on me if there's a drainage issue and tank overflows (it does happen) or an issue where my sump overflows (has happened to me).

Best regards.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.2%
Back