Need ideas for child proofing my cabinet

Duffs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to build the stand for my new setup and I have a 15 mouth old running around I was going to use magnets to hold the cabinet door on but need ideas on how to child proof it...also any other suggestions on thing to child proof a reef tank....

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to build the stand for my new setup and I have a 15 mouth old running around I was going to use magnets to hold the cabinet door on but need ideas on how to child proof it...also any other suggestions on thing to child proof a reef tank....

Magnets can be very un-child-safe in their own right. Apparently they get swallowed a lot and are significantly more problematic than just the choking hazzard. If you decide to use magnets, use ferrous magnets (vs neodymium, etc) that have enough surface area that they would not easily be ingested. Think hand-sized or larger.

IME a parent on duty or physical blockade is all that will work. Trick latches, et al are literally child's play...do not waste money on them.

I would set up a fence (look at the Summer brand) that surrounds the tank all the way around (means the fence cannot be knocked over or easily moved) or one that divides that whole end of he room off (they have really long fences with a gate built in).

$0.02

OP
OP
D

Duffs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish a fence would work have one that was supposed to divide my dog room from my main house but my little one has already figured out hold to open it tryed different brands all with the same conclusion litter guy laughing and the sound of dog feet running thru out the house

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the trick kids locks on mine but it still left a 2" opening.... so my 18 mo son chose to put dishwasher packs in my fuge when he was helping do dishes with mom! Yah mom failed but she did call me so I could shut everything down and suck out my fuge and sump + change 50 gallons of water. So no loss. But after that I drilled my doors so I could just use drywall screws to keep them shut. Unless he gets that good with a screwdriver I'm ok. I figure I'll all some knobs to the doors where the holes are when my kids are bigger.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use psychology against them. Anytime your child touches something on the tank, make a loud noise or something that scares them when they touch. Negative reinforcement. It shouldn't take long to condition them and it won't deter them from watching it, just touching. You'll need to remind them every once in a while, but not often as telling them to don't touch. I had push clips that attach to the doors and to part of the cabinet. Our 2 year old learned how to open. He would also grab the dry food, open the container, and proceed to dump the food all over the floor. Smacking his hands, telling him not to touch, stern no's weren't working. So I started to scare him when touched the doors or any part of the cabinet. He no longer touches it except when I'm holding him as we look at the tank.
We do use doorway gates, restricting access to certain rooms also has helped to some degree.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could only add to be sure to check online reviews of any "child proofing" products before you commit to spending money. 100% of the ones I tried were terrible...and there are very few that get good ratings.

Note that there are some fence solutions (same company and others...we have metal and plastic versions) that do not include a gate. Sounds like this may be best for you.

OP
OP
D

Duffs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about screwing cabinet in but this last trip to homedepot got me rethinking that Hasn't perfected removing screws but is getting close

Attachments

• 1422385474421.jpg
    1422385474421.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 351
OP
OP
D

Duffs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnets can be very un-child-safe in their own right. Apparently they get swallowed a lot and are significantly more problematic than just the choking hazzard. If you decide to use magnets, use ferrous magnets (vs neodymium, etc) that have enough surface area that they would not easily be ingested. Think hand-sized or larger.

IME a parent on duty or physical blockade is all that will work. Trick latches, et al are literally child's play...do not waste money on them.

I would set up a fence (look at the Summer brand) that surrounds the tank all the way around (means the fence cannot be knocked over or easily moved) or one that divides that whole end of he room off (they have really long fences with a gate built in).

$0.02

Wish fences would work for my kids. I breed monkeys for kids.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my oldest son was about 4, I bought him a tool chest of plastic play tools. Within the week all of the plug cover plates went missing. We eventually found them but not the screws. Next he disassembled his bed and the headboard fell over and the mattress hit the floor. The stories go on, but a fence would have been just another challenge.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D I'm talking <2 years old...I'm sure there are limits!

I just meant depends on the kid. My son has been climbing over all gates since 10-11 months old. My daughter on the other hand just yells at you until you get her over it. Lol. Son is 2 now and the fence would have to be 10 foot tall with razor wire at the top lol.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

moulton712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All kids are different, when my oldest (3 now) was 1- 1 1/2 he could pick all the child proofing stuff you could buy. Even adding two layers of proofing. My 14 month old now is a brute and just breaks them.

Gates only work for so long and they figure them all out.

The thing that's have worked are lock boxes for the outlet covers, Plug ins never worked, and putting knobs on doors with the knob clamp locks.

Children can be very smart when you leave the room.

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen cabinets with flush doors with no visible handles but a strong magnet on the inside. you then stick a magnetic handle to the door to open it. I would definitely keep all your chemicals locked up and put plastic inserts in outlets not used. Thats about all I can think of, good luck!

OP
OP
D

Duffs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen cabinets with flush doors with no visible handles but a strong magnet on the inside. you then stick a magnetic handle to the door to open it. I would definitely keep all your chemicals locked up and put plastic inserts in outlets not used. Thats about all I can think of, good luck!

Sound good also looking in commercial grade electronic locks for doors basically use the same design but with electro magnet not to bad price

a49panhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 20 mouths. I use Basick safety locks. But every time I open the cabinet he wants to look. We call it "checking the bubbles". Do to the skimmer. I tell him about what is going on with the filter and what he can help with. Since I started doing that he does not try to get in with out me

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back