DIY over flow

Fraser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so made my own overflow but the air tube to start the siphon is not filling with water i even bought a lift pump and still have slow flow and air in the tube. Any advice would be great

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post a picture so we can take a look?

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, those types of PVC pipe overflows don't work very well and are prone to cause flooding. The main problem is air getting trapped and the siphon not restarting.

You MIGHT eventually get it to work for a while, but they usually end up failing at some point.

You best bet is to drill the tank. If that is not an option, then a U-tube type overflow by Lifereef. eshoppes, or the like would be a better choice than what you have.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but been there, done that, got the wet floors to prove it.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, those types of PVC pipe overflows don't work very well and are prone to cause flooding. The main problem is air getting trapped and the siphon not restarting.

You MIGHT eventually get it to work for a while, but they usually end up failing at some point.

You best bet is to drill the tank. If that is not an option, then a U-tube type overflow by Lifereef. eshoppes, or the like would be a better choice than what you have.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but been there, done that, got the wet floors to prove it.

I agree, you should consider one of the option noted above. That would be a safer option for you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back