An Easy Way to Increase Your Tank's pH with a CO2 Scrubber

DRThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P1030275.jpg
P1030279.jpg

Started my CO2 scrubber about a year ago. I use a BRS reactor and hooked it up to my skimmer air intake. I ran the other end of the CO2 reactor to the back of my stand (see pics) hoping to get "fresher" air. I am unable to pull outside air. I live in FL my A/C is ALWAYS on which builds up excess levels of CO2 in my house.

I have a 200gal system and have to change out the media every 14 days.

My pH levels before the scrubber would drop to 7.8 at night and barely get over 8.0 during the day. Now my pH levels stay above 8.0 at night and will peak just under 8.2.

reeksreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P1030275.jpg P1030279.jpg
Started my CO2 scrubber about a year ago. I use a BRS reactor and hooked it up to my skimmer air intake. I ran the other end of the CO2 reactor to the back of my stand (see pics) hoping to get "fresher" air. I am unable to pull outside air. I live in FL my A/C is ALWAYS on which builds up excess levels of CO2 in my house.

My pH levels before the scrubber would drop to 7.8 at night and barely get over 8.0 during the day. Now my pH levels stay above 8.0 at night and will peak just under 8.2.
DRThompson you can't run the air intake to a window?

reeksreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P1030275.jpg P1030279.jpg

Dr. Did you get the soda lime locally?

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may need to do this as well as I cannot find a permanent way to install my skimmer airline outside, and when I did put the airline out the window when it was open the ph still didn't increase as much as I'd like and wasn't consistent. I also considered using kalk to raise ph which worked but I prefer dosing 2 part and found balancing the use of kalk to maintain alk, calcium, and ph difficult and inconsistent. I see that BRS sells a C02 reactor that is similar to their media reactors and the soda lime. Like reeksreef just asked, do you know where one can get soda lime locally?

gregcoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is sold in gardening supply, or the Internet. It must be pure soda lime.

FYI: You can turn sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) into sodium carbonate (soda ash) by spreading it on a cookie sheet and baking at 400F for an hour. This drives off that extra C02 molecule. That helps keep the ph swing down as its dosed.

Last edited:

DRThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my first bag from shopmedvet.com
Anesthesia Products : Soda Lime, 3 lb. bag

Then, when I decided to go "all in" I bought a bucket of sodalime from wayfair for $90. I dont think they sell it anymore though. My bucket is down to 1/3rd so I guess I'd better start shopping ;)

I'm told you can buy from any place that sells rebreathing equipment for scuba divers.

reeksreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my first bag from shopmedvet.com
Anesthesia Products : Soda Lime, 3 lb. bag

Then, when I decided to go "all in" I bought a bucket of sodalime from wayfair for $90. I dont think they sell it anymore though. My bucket is down to 1/3rd so I guess I'd better start shopping ;)

I'm told you can buy from any place that sells rebreathing equipment for scuba divers.
Ok thanks. Have to look into it

DRThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use about a pound every 10-14 days depending on how many people are breathing here ;). The 5 gal bucket I bought weighed about 40lbs.

I know it's been over a year but honestly I'm not sure when I opened the bucket for first use.

dmann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where would you hook the scrubber too on a reef octopus nw110? To the line going to the pump? Then where?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1414539615556.jpg

It goes to this part of your skimmer. I have both a co2 scrubber and outside airline on mine because i have 2 nozzles. The more fresh air for me the better....

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a specific amount when using the soda lime per/gallon or are you just filling a reactor. Curious as my tank is centrally located and i am unable to run a line for outside air

DRThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just fill the reactor. You dont need an expensive reactor if you are on a budget. I like the BRS reactor because I can hang it in my sump which makes it easy to replace the media. You could even use a gatorade bottle or soda bottle.

The amount you need/use will depend on how much CO2 is in the air and how much air/CFM your skimmer is drawing thru the media. Definitely not a set amount per gallon though.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back