Deep Blue 34g Shallow Reef tank

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After moving my JBJ 20 gallon Frag tank three times this past summer , we finally closed on our house and I purchased a new Deep Blue 34g Shallow tank. I was able to transfer all livestock two months ago and everything is doing great.

34 1.jpg
34 4.jpg
34 5.jpg
34 6.jpg

ZIGGY63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the acans, what lights are you running over them? All mine have turned orange or pink.

OP
OP
Esage

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the acans, what lights are you running over them? All mine have turned orange or pink.

Thanks. I'm running two Kessil A350w, it's a lot of little over a shallow tank, only 12" high. I'm running both lights about 50%. I ran one Kessil over the 20g frag tank and was really happy with it, so I thought I would stick with the same when I set this tank up.

Chriscrna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great man! I'm taking real good care of that 20 JBJ. It's cycled and all frags are in there now and loving the Kessil A360WE.

shallowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watchout for that wrasse. They love to commit suicide and jump out of open top tanks. I couldn't find mine for a month because he was on the floor behind the tank and dried into a crispy critter.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watchout for that wrasse. They love to commit suicide and jump out of open top tanks. I couldn't find mine for a month because he was on the floor behind the tank and dried into a crispy critter.
Can't begin to count the number of wrasses I lost over the years to carpet surfing.

Chriscrna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Shaun, what height and intensity do you have the kessils?

I'm trying to find the sweet spot over that jbj 20.

OP
OP
Esage

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Kessil hanging 10 inches off the water, about 50% intensity over that tank. That JBJ is so shallow you need to be careful not to burn your corals. My current tank is 12" deep and the Kessil's are 8 inches off the water and running about 50% intensity. My LPS and nems did great in the JBJ shallow with the kessil over it. I've also heard that par readings under them are not very accurate , but that light should be plenty to grow whatever you want, in that tank.

Chriscrna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob brought the PAR meter over awhile back and we got surprisingly low readings. So I lowered the light and increased the intensity. Ended up bleaching a bird's nest and one of my acros.

So I moved it up and decreased intensity Friday hoping things get better. Just so happens, I moved it to 10 inches and 50% intensity. Sounds like you had good luck with that setting. Hope I will too.

Thanks.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back