Can I go skimmerless?

Johnnyredd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a 125 reef.

It will only house a carpet nem, pair of saddlebacks, 6 line Wrasse and maybe another fish or two. Minimal fish, nothing big. As I work on sump/fuge design I have come across a few ideas and wanted to pass this along and see if anyone thought good or bad.

Make the sump a dual fuge. One side Chaeto and other macro algae. The other side Xenia. Each overflow feeds an end of the fuge. The return would be in the middle. (because I want it there if for no other reason)

If I do this do I really need a skimmer? It will already be a minimal bioload so would I starve the Xenia using a skimmer?

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you would starve the Xenia by going with a skimmer. But I also don't think you absolutely have to have a skimmer if you don't want to. As long as you keep up with WC's, Gfo/carbon, and fuge you should be ok.

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you have to have a skimmer if you have a fuge and keep your display light cycle to 8 hours or less.

OP
OP
J

Johnnyredd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread on reef central about a xenia fuge and it mentions how the skimmer has to be limited because it competes with the xenia for nutrients.
I think this will work but its the first 3 to 6 months that worries me - the time it will take to establish my xenia and macro algae colonies.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several skimmerless tanks and it never works out for me. Not saying it can't be done but I can't pull it off.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been running with a really crappy protein skimmer for years...if i clean it real good it will run for 2 weeks then stop functioning properly....i clean it every 3-4 months with my fuge with cheato. but i have minimal bioload, 6 fish no longer than 1 1/4 inch. i think i feed my corals more than my fish...BUT every tank setup works differently, i've worked my way into this setup over 7 years...

Also, i might be wrong on this but i thought xenia sucked up some other nutrients besides nitrates. I was thinking about that idea and passed on it after reading up.

Good luck either way

OP
OP
J

Johnnyredd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not found a down side to xenia yet but as with my post here i am still lookimg. I expect to be dosing since its a reef and expect the macro algae side of the fuge to pull its weight, also. I just want the water as clean as possible as naturally as possible.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ran a big enough ATS (algae turf scrubber) you could run skimmerless. These pull more weight than chaeto or caulerpa.

OP
OP
J

Johnnyredd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have not seen an ats design that peaked my interest but i have also yet to find anything negative on a xenia and chaeto combo fuge. I may leave my little aquamedic turboflotor 500 skimmer on it. We have a lot of anthelia in the 55 with the clowns, 6 line. Crystal clear water and very minimal skimmate. That why i think the same bioload on a 125 with a two chamber fuge will be fine.

If not... Add a skimmer later.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system was skimmerless for about 4 months. A 9"X9" waterfall algae scrubber kept nitrates at zero despite ten 2.5" fish. I added a skimmer to pull green tint out of the water.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kind of carpet anemone? They are really sensitive especially gigs...
Could you sure but expect more water changes and less piece of mind.

Rpujol85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends. You might be fine. Although I have heard carpet nems tend to put off a lot of crap into the water column.

I have two clowns and a dottyback. I run skimmerless. Filter pad, carbon/gfo, purigen, small bag of petco zeolite, and recently a bit of chaeto.

I am able to keep acros wit this setup. FWIW

Carlson Moncrief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything will do a lot better if you do. Looking at all of the nasty skim mate mine pulls out every day makes me wonder how bad of shape I would be in without it

OP
OP
J

Johnnyredd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer has been off for two weeks. I have noticed an accelerated growth rate of the anethelia and GSP after about 3 days. Water is crystal clear and tested great last Sunday.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back