Led lighting question

SaltAddict89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to figure out how many watts of LEDs I would need to have them suspended 1ft over a 36x24x18

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly get by with a 24" fixture like the Reef Radiance Lumentak Pro 180 (180w max) for $319 shipped, you would probably only needc to run at 50-75% power or the Reef Breeders Photon 24 (110w max) $329. Both have their own controllers and are fully dimmable 2-channel fixtures, with a 3rd channel moonlight standard. There are obviously other higher dollar fixtures out there but if it were my money this the direction I would go if not to build my own.

Cheers, Todd

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great suggestion on the Reef Radiance Pro 180!!! Over my 40B it looks marvelous darling! Plus my corals love it!! I'm running it 30/50% 12 1/2" from waters surface. Wonderful unit :)

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a pair of those. I have three panels over my tank which is the same dimensions except its 2 inches deeper. I have one of the Reef Radiance DM132 lights and two other china leds without the lenses on them. I would like to replace them with a lenses light to have less bleed into my room.

One thing about those lights is you dont know the brand of LED. Cree and Phillips are tops. then the bridgelux.

here is my build thread so you can see how they look over that size tank.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/me...nsized-simplified-66-rimless.html#post1928398

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltAddict89

SaltAddict89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your tank. Its very clean. I do have one question though and that is are the chinese lights programmable with a programmer or are they just turn on and turn off kinda light?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
neither are programmable like the Lumentek pro from reef Radiance would be. they are simply on and off and use the knobs to adjust the intensity of eithe the blue or white channel. the outer panels are 55 x 3 watts. and the inside is 44 x 3 watts. I have each of the 6 circuits wired to my Reefkeeper so it turns them on and off independently.

OP
OP
SaltAddict89

SaltAddict89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that makes sense. Do you think that one would be fine ina 40GB? or would I have to get 2?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might not like the coverage on the edges if you got just one. they are OK for about 18x24" when mounted parallel to the tank length wise.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to figure out how many watts of LEDs I would need to have them suspended 1ft over a 36x24x18

Never Judge The Intensity Of A LED Fixture By Watts!!!

These are just some of the factors that are very consequential in the final Intensity per Watt

-LED Type
--Cree and Luxion Three Watt LEDs can be twice as bright as Generic Three Watt LEDs at the same drive current.

-LED Drive Current
--Just because its a 3 Watt LED does not mean its driven at 3 Watts.
--I prefer to drive our 5 Watt LEDs between 2 to 3 Watts to maximize efficiency.
--The Harder you drive an LED the more Heat and less Light it produces.

-Optics
--Some optics are only 60-70% efficient were others are close to 90% efficient.
--Optics are a Force Multiplier focusing the light where its needed and not to the sides.
--Proper use of optics, angling the fixture and height adjustment can double the intensity while reducing the spill.

Thermal Management.
--This is some what related to drive current as the cooler the LED is the brighter it gets.
--Avoid Fixtures that are "Hot To The Touch. Heat is the enemy of any electrical component.

Here is a 24" depth PAR Graph of an optimized 118 watt LED Fixture. I like to see at least 200 PAR on the sand bed for clams and carpet anemones. Also for SPS having the right spectrum and intensity leads to the development of pigments which reflect this extra light.

PARP47_zps60914390.jpg

PM Sent

Bill

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back