New to RO-DI

dairon52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I just recently purchase this RoDi system from its previous owner, got a good deal on it so didn't think about much. Now my question is, I am new to using this so I was wondering if anyone with experience could tell me if the connections are right and what line would be the one for waste and which one is the one I will use for water to the aquarium. I would really appreciate all the help I could get.

Attachments

• 1406304255971.jpg
    1406304255971.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 1406304265964.jpg
    1406304265964.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 160

Almonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I see, please someone else correct me if I am wrong, the sediment filter (one on the right in the first picture), and that of the DI resin (one on the left first picture), are mixed around. Additionally the Red line will be the waste line. If the system is new, make sure to cycle the system (count all water as waste) for an hourish.

OP
OP
dairon52

dairon52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almonds thanks for your help I bought the filters new but the actual equipment is not. I will change the filters now, and my last concern are the connections set up the way they should?

Spendley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember to change out your filters. I recently got a spike in phosphates because I neglected to change mine. Was about 7months or so, so you've got time obviously, just a heads up lol.

ecajoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swap them around where the thicker yellow hose goes in the white sediment then carbon then di from left to right on first pic and I would always recommend a dual in line tds meter

OP
OP
dairon52

dairon52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys very much I left it running to flush it (filters are new). Will change the position of the filter too

OP
OP
dairon52

dairon52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for more water to come out of the waste line then the line for the to water?

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is normal but I believe the order you need to have it run is white filter to the carbon to membrane on top to DI resin then out. At least that's how I run mine.

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it is, unfortunately. u can collect it to water plants and stuff if you want.

OP
OP
dairon52

dairon52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK that's a good idea. The water is not clean enough to use as fresh water for a turtle tank just a question

OP
OP
dairon52

dairon52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to let you guys know if interested, the waste water from the to-do is perfectly fine to use for water changes on a Turtle tank.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brine or waste will be about 25% higher TDS than your tap water was to begin with. It has been through a sediment filter to remove suspended solids and the carbon to remove chlorine but other than that is tap water plus 25% more TDS or dissolved solids since it contains the concentrated TDS the RO membrane removed from the treated portion. The turtle probably won't care.

wandoshane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ro unit

Might want to consider getting a chloramine canister or two with color changing DI resin depending on your water source. SOme local municpalites ad things to their water which the CHlorine filter will remove.

Hey guys I just recently purchase this RoDi system from its previous owner, got a good deal on it so didn't think about much. Now my question is, I am new to using this so I was wondering if anyone with experience could tell me if the connections are right and what line would be the one for waste and which one is the one I will use for water to the aquarium. I would really appreciate all the help I could get.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need to waste money on chloramine filters. The normal high quality 1 micron or smaller carbon block is more than capable of removing the chlorine portion of chloramines and breaking the bond with the ammonia which is removed partially by the RO membrane then polished off with the DI.

You also don't want color changing resin since it is very unreliable. Using your handheld TDS meter you will find it is usually already passing TDS before the color turns. Then you have the issue of trying to decipher the color change, it may change in streaks, all at once, never, top to bottom or bottom to top etc. Stick with non color changing and use your TDS meter which won't lie and takes no guessing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dairon52

dairon52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks AZD I was also I told to get one of the small gauges for the ro-di is that completely necessary and if it is what's the job of it.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are talking about an inline pressure gauge then yes, they are a very important piece of the RO/DI system and can help you in troubleshooting the system. Good vendors include the pressure gauge on their systems.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back