Hang on back bulkhead: pros vs cons

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am looking at getting a new reef tank. Probably between 40-65g depending on what I can find. My question is I can find a lot if 40-50 gallon tanks pretty cheap of course with no bulkheads. What are the main differences or pros and cons of using a hang on back bulkhead if I go that rout or should I definately get a reef ready drilled aquarium?

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang boxes are a pain in the rear....my experience when I did use them back in the day is if power went off, sometimes it would lose the siphon, noisy, cumbersome, unsightlightly.
And if your not home..you can imaigin the total melt down in system you could have.

Save your self the hassle and just have your tank drilled for the bulk heads.

I had one(tank) drilled and 2 pieces of glass to make my internal o-box, and it only cost me $35.00 bucks.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had zero issues with my hob for 8 years straight... And when the power goes off it doesnt stop the siphon. It will start right back up naturally when the power comes back on. Also you will not have to worry about drilling or your tank leaking around the drilled bulk head. There are pros and cons and I would recommend have it drilled for a more flush look especially if you can bottom drill. Also you wont have to every worry about starting a siphon.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's some confusion here, the original post noted "hang on back bulkhead", not overflow box. Not sure if the OP meant HOB overflow, or what...

Either way, you'll want a drilled overflow opposed to HOB. I now drill all my tanks through the back and use a low-profile strainer. Overflow boxes are big and unsightly, keep it clean! Here's some more info on overflow options.

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a HOB for 4 months, lost siphon once every two weeks, luckily, I work from home, so I caught it before bad things happened, but it is a complete waste of money, it is not worth the risk. Even if you just get something from glass holes and DIY, much better than HOB

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you have it done did you find a place locally to drill it?

Check your local glass repair shops, take a pic of your tank, a diagram of all your measurements/location of holes, sizes of holes. And the size of box you want for the 2 glass wall pieces.

Go to your LFS and look at tanks simalar to yours to get ideas..measurements.

It's not as hard as you would think. And make sure you get aquarium silicone NOT regular silicone.

You will be much happier with bulk heads and O-Box.....

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good HOB overflows such as Eshopps and Lifereef are extremely reliable.
prefilter box, siphon box, overflow box, siphon overflow, Eurobrace, Euro-brace, Euro-tank

I would stay away from the CPR style which requires an additional Tom's Aqualifter pump to maintain a siphon and can be prone to failure.

That being said though, if it is a new system start it out right the first time with a drilled internal overflow. I wouldn't use a HOB unless I was retrofitting an existig running system which I have done in the past. I would look for a reef ready tank already set up if it were me versus having one drilled. Many tanks are tempered, especially the bottoms, and I am not a fan of back drilled overflows as it is hard to get them quiet with such a short standpipe configuration or you end up with a lot of plumbing out the back to construct an external standpipe and all that weight is hanging on bulkheads which is not a good idea.

butters417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been using a Eshopps HOB overflow for my 45 gallon for about 3 years now. not one problem with it losing siphon...I am building a new 150 gallon and when i transition i will be drilling my old 45 to reuse it, but i have no complaints about the HOB overflows.

reefguy40gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a hang on back as well....is HOB or drilling my tank my only two options? The tank sits in my living room and is extremely loud...between the pump, skimmer and water flowing out of the tank.

thanks

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were in your shoes I would drill the tank rather than have a HOB overflow box. I bought the glass drill bit off Amazon and did it myself. It's a lot easier than you think. There are many youtube videos showing how to do it.

Back