Do I have enough lighting?

PKibsyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 50 gallon with a 48-60" (Mfg# 4103) 46.8" x 3.5" x 0.44" high 46 96 Dual Daylight/96 Dual Actinic LEDs, 192 LEDs Total
And also have a 48" T5 HO two bulbs one white light and the other actinic. Some of my corals are doing great while others not so much. I have a toadstool that looks awesome and on the other hand a hammer that looks like it's slowly shriveling. The tanks been going for about five months now. All water parameters are on point. Am I using to much lighting? Every time I put my led light on full the hammer seems to shrivel a little more. But if I turn it down the rest of the corals look like crap too. What am I doing wrong here?

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[h=1]Current USA Orbit Marine LED Saltwater Reef Lighting System[/h]

You might get a better response if you tell people you have this light.................

Over a 50 gallon, along with T-5's that probably is too much light with the LED's turned up very much. If your LPS are shriveling up when you turn the lights up thats a pretty good sign you are on the right track. You just need to find the happy medium and all of your corals will eventually acclimate to the level you have it set at.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bump for more details or recommendations

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe your not running enough light. Those 192 LED units are only like .5 watt LEDs each with no focusing optics, which isn't even close to the lighting you need. I'd only go minimal of 1w LEDs on a tank or run a 4 lamp minimum T5 HO fixture.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree you need more light. I would say get about 40-60 3watt leds no optics if hung close to water level. If hung high get optics that focus the light into the tank.

OP
OP
P

PKibsyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I'd be fine if I got an extra 4 bulb fixture giving an extra 216 watts?

OP
OP
P

PKibsyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that'd be giving me 324 watts. Not including the LEDs. Which are obviously useless. I'd be lucky to grow algae from the sounds of it

CoralHut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely get a better lighting system those LEDs are more for color than actual growth. I would recommend a 4 bulb or 6 bulb t5ho.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back