Remote Refugium feedback

Reefkeeper3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 55 g mixed reef. I have a spare 10 gallon which i have decided to add as a remote refugium.
I dont have much space in the stand to place this above the sump or beside it so I am planning to
build a small stand to elevate the fuge and then drill it for an overflow back into the sump.
I can't t-off the drain and am not really interested in t-ing off the return. So I am thinking to add
a small pump to the sump to push water to the fuge. Not planning on placing anything beyond
chaeto in the fuge once up and running and I am hoping to get a bit of nutrient export but the main reason for
doing it is to provide a place for pods. I am looking for anybody that has done a similar setup and can give me
any feedback or suggestions to improve upon my plans. Thanks for reading.

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a fantastic idea, if I had the space I would have one, and I would make it bigger then my DT. IMO your setup plans are the most logical way to go about this as well with a down pipe dropping the fuge water into the dt

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a remote refugium. I have mine sitting next to the main sump. It is fed off one of the returns and drains back into the sump. I used a 20G plexi that I drilled on the upper back corner. I used a OF box that was drilled as well and secured the box with the BH. Here are a few shots of the set up

Attachments

• fuge1.jpg
    fuge1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,163
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 446
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 408
OP
OP
R

Reefkeeper3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for the pictures and feedback. I actually drilled a 20 today and set it up as remote fuge. After testing power outage etc I should be safe from any flooding. Right now I only have chaeto in the fuge. Well chaeto and a hitchiking brittle starfish of some type. If he comes out again I will grab a picture and post for id. Currently I have low flow going through the fuge (chaeto isnt tumbling). Any recommendations on flow ?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a fuge with chaeto i had a powerhead in there to keep it moving.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the ones Tyler at elite aquatics makes, they're pretty awesome.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 86 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back