flow from DT to sump

sbazain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wandering if I slow down my flow to the sump so I won't have to use socks and at the same time have less water movement in the sump , "My sump is a rubbermaid I've had now for two years" will that hurt the turn around time

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well of course it will hurt your turn around time as you call it. and if for some reason you choose to do so you will need to turn down the return pump so your tank wont overflow. I assume your skimmer is in your sump as well as chemical filtration and the more GPH you run thru it the cleaner you tank will stay.

OP
OP
sbazain

sbazain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you call it always like to learn the language in my hubby yes I have the skimmer in the sump I thought of putting an end cap and drilling holes on the return pipe in the sump that way it won't hit with so much force

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never restrict the overflow from the display to the sump, that would be a flood for sure. Slow the flow using a valve on the dicharge side of your return pump. Itis the pump that determines the overflow rate since the overflow is gravity and balances itself with the pumping rate.

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya you could build yourself a baffle of some kind to diffuse the water coming into the sump. That would accomplish what your trying to do and not slow down the flow thru the sump.

schneid0c

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya you probably should baffle off the section where your skimmer sits so it has more contact time with the water comming from the inlet

schneid0c

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres how mine is set up. sorry it looks so sloppy paint kinda sucks lol
20140331_142957.jpg

OP
OP
sbazain

sbazain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it looks good i think my best bet is to get an old tank and make it a real sump that way each thing has its own place am going to take a pic of my actual system so you can have a better idea.

schneid0c

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya i took a 20 gal long and custom baffled it i wish i had more room or else i would have went with a 40 gal. here is what the whole thing looks like
20140915_221535.jpg

OP
OP
sbazain

sbazain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, i have a friend the has a used tank am going to find out how big it is and go for it and it will also look more profetional

Bernardhny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you do this?

I am not sure I understand why you would want to restrict the flow to a sump? I read an article that said the biggest mistake reef hobbyist makes is a stagnant sump. By simply adding a very low flow pump you can increase the ability of the Chaeto to export positive nutrients to the tank and absorb nitrates and phosphates.

Before I used the small pump I would have red slime algae form in my sump. Once I added the flow that algae disappeared and my chaeto started growing exponentially. I threw out an extra large zipper bag of Chaeto the other day just to trim it back. I run my fuge lights 24/7.

Thoughts?

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shoot for between 3-5x turnover per hour between my sump and display. This means for a 100 gallon tank I need about 300-500 GPH through the tank. This is not a very quick pace and if you throttle your return pump back or T off it to slow it down you will probably achieve the same goal without creating a potential flood risk.

I do this because number one it works and number 2 there used to be discussions about dwell time and skimmers and this seemed like where people were pointing to

Last edited:
OP
OP
sbazain

sbazain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am just going to split the sump in two that way idont have to touch the flow into the sump and my return wont pick up all the detritus and throw it up into th DT.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back