What containers or tanks to mix and store water??

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up reef2reef, So like the titles states, what containers or tanks are you guys using to mix and store water? I got a new R.O unit and from now on mixing my own water, been on the search for a 20 gallon trash can so i can mix the water in, but im so confused on what to get, as ive read on some threads that some trash cans leech things into the water like phosphates. What you guys think ?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 30 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck trashcan on wheels for major changes and 6 gallon Oceanic salt buckets or small changes. For storage I use a 23 gallon Rubbermaid recycling can with a lid for the ATO and either 5 gallon clear drinking water jugs with caps or the blue square 5-8 gallon water totes you can find at Wal Mart in the camping aisle or any outdoor store. The square or cube styles are nice since they stack easily in a corner or other out of the way place like a closet.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NSF rated Brute garbage conatiner (33G/) for RODI water; same for large quantities of SW. 5G buckets for smaller qunatites. I've heard that all plastic will eventually leach given time; not sure how true that is.

cr2jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brutes work well. I have one with a float valve and a valve to fill with water and one on the dolly to mix salt water in and move to the tank to replace the water I just took out. I use an old power head to move water from one brute to the other and then to the tank. They come in several sizes too!

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home depot has some 27g black totes with yellow lids that are pretty rigid. THE Sides Don't Bow Out FOR 11 Dollars WORK NICE.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now tha this question is asked.

Question on the rough neck brutes .

What's the max time I can store water in the can ? I have a 30g brute can I hold water for around 5 days? I use it for ato and then I have a 20g brute for mixing salt right away after my 20g of r.o is made with in 1.5hours .

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have held it in Brutes before for weeks with RODI and with salt water but with salt water I always either leave a power head going or mix it up with a larger pump for a few hours before I use it. Never had a problem doing it this way and I use IO for salt. Hope that answers your questions!

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have a pump on with the rodi. I was worried of it picking up any particles when I open it and then that causing it to turn high phosphates

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run a pump on the rodi just have a lid on the can. I only run a pump in the salt water which also has a lid and never had a problem or smell from either.

cr2jones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ro/di can is always full, I have the 20 gal. I use the salt water can for my monthly water changes and mix my saltwater up at least 2 days in advance. Normally do water changes on Sat morn mix salt on a Thursday night.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back