DA RKL Salinity probe calibration question

EricTMah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new SL2 and new Salinity probe.

I've looked everywhere including on DA's forum for how to calibrate the salinity probe.

This video is the only thing I've been able to find to calibrate the probe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XYls8gvA1w

I followed this video and no good! After following these steps, I place the probe in the sump and it reads 26.9 Conductivity. Which would indicate my specific gravity is well below 1.010 Which means all my SPS would be dead! I even double checked with my hydrometer and I'm at 1.025

PLEASE HELP!

I'm lost!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a very good demonstration video, IMO, since they do not actually do it to let you see it.

I've not used this device, so cannot comment on its specifics.

What did the conductivity of the calibration fluid read after calibration? It should be 53 mS/cm, if that is the standard you used.

If not, something was wrong with how you calibrated it. :)

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calibration can be done using either the conductivity reading in ms or in PPT. If you want it to read PPT, set the target to 32 instead of 53. The calibration uses two readings, one in the solution and one in the air. When you go into the calibration screen on the controller just step through it. When the probe is in the solution give it a few minutes for the raw data numbers to stabilize. If you can't get it to work, I would send an email to [email protected] or post a message on their support forum.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calibration can be done using either the conductivity reading in ms or in PPT. If you want it to read PPT, set the target to 32 instead of 53. The calibration uses two readings, one in the solution and one in the air. When you go into the calibration screen on the controller just step through it. When the probe is in the solution give it a few minutes for the raw data numbers to stabilize. If you can't get it to work, I would send an email to [email protected] or post a message on their support forum.

Why 32?

If you are using a 53 mS/cm standard, that would be 35 ppt. :)

Back