Proper size return pump

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 90 gallon Reef Ready Single Overflow AGA tank and I'm trying to see if my existing Jebao DC6000 return pump will be enough to do the job.
The pump will be feeding 2 single BRS reactors (1 for Carbon and 1 for GFO) as well as a 1/10Hp (I think) chiller.

Each of these items will be feed off a manifold so I can control the amount of water to each device.

My original plan was to feed the returns of the BRS reactors back into the fuge, right before the return section of my sump and the chiller would be feed with a 1/2" line that will then go out of the chiller back into the tank.

I'm not sure about the last part now because the AGA tank I got has 2 holes drilled for a 1" drain and return.
I guess I could put a reducer bushing in the bulkhead so that the return would be 1/2"?

2 questions.
1) Thoughts on the pump, do you think it will be fine?
2) Suggestions on getting the chiller into the system?

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dc6000 might be enough turned all the way up i run a dc12000 at about 50%. Plumbing sounds good i do the same thing my carbon feeds of rtn pump and outputs to fuge that flows into rtn section. If you dont absolutely need the chiller but can get away with a fan blowing across the top of tank i would go that way chiller can add a bit to elect bill.

OP
OP
Sacohen

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 55 gallon tank (which I'm replacing with the 90) runs high 70's. Currently at 79.7° measured at the sump where the room temp is 78.8°. the tank temp probe is not working right now, but it was pretty much in line with the sump temp.
Lights and return pump will be the same as the 55.
The 90 is going to have a new skimmer and a larger sump.

I have a fan blowing into the sump on the 55 and it still runs in the high 70's.

I would like to bring it down to at least 75-76°

It's an open top tank, no hood on it, just some netting to prevent jumpers.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 90 with a 6 tube ati t5 fixture my fan blows on top of tank controlled by my apex keeps temp around 78-78.5 fan turns on when tank hits 78.6 runs till 78 does fine sump stays around a degree cooler than tank

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run it around 78-79 it's optimal. Try to avoid the chiller as much as possible and have a go on when it gets above 80°. I know you have an auto top off as I've seen it at your house before so you'll be okay unless that Kalk with RO/DI brings up your pH too much. I think a fan should be more than enough to keep the tank cool.

As for the DC6000 pump it might be a bit undersize unless you are running it as a return pump only. I've got the DC12000 and it's powering two tanks, could run my reactors but I've taken them off because I don't need them at the moment.

OP
OP
Sacohen

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ATO with Kalk doesn't raise the pH too much.
I'm thinking about getting the DC12000 and having the 6000 as a spare or us it to mix the saltwater for the AWC.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.2%
Back