Maxspect RipTide Owners Thread

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really understand the reverse mode. Does it push water the same direction for you just slower than the normal mode?
No, it actually reverses. Instead of pushing water out the top it pushes out the bottom and pulls it in the top. Page 17 of the manual shows it pretty good.

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will be here Thursday!
It will be going in my grow out tank 48x24x14. Will be interesting to see how it works on a shallow tank.
After reading thread I believe I will have to run it on a very low setting. Thank goodness it's a bare bottom!

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing more reading. Seems we could swap out paddles and cages and have a better alternating mode. One side would have the strong flow out the top in forward and the other side would have the strong flow out the bottom in reverse. Only half the flow in either direction but as I have mine at 40% I could double that to 80% and have good flow either direction. I'll be playing with that.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about feed mode. Manual says it returns to the previous mode after 10 minutes. I'm running Pulse mode now. To get to Feed mode I push the button one time and I'm in Alternating and another time to get to feed. After 10 minutes it returns to Alternating instead of Pulse as I did have to go to Alternating before I hit Feed. Shouldn't it somehow go back to Pulse? Unless I'm missing something I have to go to Alternating before Feed when coming from Pulse.

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about feed mode. Manual says it returns to the previous mode after 10 minutes. I'm running Pulse mode now. To get to Feed mode I push the button one time and I'm in Alternating and another time to get to feed. After 10 minutes it returns to Alternating instead of Pulse as I did have to go to Alternating before I hit Feed. Shouldn't it somehow go back to Pulse? Unless I'm missing something I have to go to Alternating before Feed when coming from Pulse.

I'm not near it, but I thought you had to hold down the switch mode button not just press it.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried it. Holding it down too long turns the pump off. Pushing and releasing advances it to the next mode even if you hold it for a beat or two. Hmmm.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set mine up. Wow great flow and no more ugly mp 40's. Tank looks a lot nicer. Haven't tried feed mode yet help will be appreciated.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the same issue with mine. Maybe they can tell us what we are doing wrong??????

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow...I'm really wanting to pull the trigger on one of these. How well are they working on a 180? Any tips on placement for a 6' tank? Is it enough flow, or would I need supplement?

SaltwaterAq

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow...I'm really wanting to pull the trigger on one of these. How well are they working on a 180? Any tips on placement for a 6' tank? Is it enough flow, or would I need supplement?

They are pretty awesome. You should grab one!

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen it live in action on CC's 7' and it is what sold me on it. Pretty hefty wave and I think was only 80%

LAman1214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll definitely be following this tread. I have a 20L so I know I will need to wait for the smaller version before I can even consider whether or not to get one. Does anyone know when the smaller version might come out and what price point it will be at? I have been trying to find info but cant come up with anything.

Here are a few shots of my tank in case anyone who already has one of these might see a reason I should not get one just based on the arrangement of things. Tank have been running for about 9 months now so it is still a work in progress.

IMAG0583.jpg
IMAG0585.jpg
IMAG0586.jpg
IMAG0587.jpg

nrbelk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of these on the way. They are coming through a local shop so hopefully I get them soon.

My tank is 72Lx36wx27H. Do you think if I put one on each end, they will be able to move the entire 36W worth of water? I've seen videos showing me that the length and height won't be a problem, but I haven't seen how wide of a section these pumps can move.

tzsetzse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet system. If it were mine, I'd keep it just as it is....Since it is not, best of success when you go with the Maxspect!

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of these on the way. They are coming through a local shop so hopefully I get them soon.

My tank is 72Lx36wx27H. Do you think if I put one on each end, they will be able to move the entire 36W worth of water? I've seen videos showing me that the length and height won't be a problem, but I haven't seen how wide of a section these pumps can move.

You'll have to experiment to see what works best. I would recommend one on each end. Try configuring one towards the back of the tank, one the end, and the other towards the front of the tank, on the end, so they create two opposite flowing gyres.

nrbelk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to experiment to see what works best. I would recommend one on each end. Try configuring one towards the back of the tank, one the end, and the other towards the front of the tank, on the end, so they create two opposite flowing gyres.

That's a good idea, I'll have to try it. I was thinking of putting them on their reverse timers, but opposite of each other, so that when one is working regularly, the other is working in reverse to help reinforce the gyre.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back