GFO Reactor hang on back/side type

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've finally decided to bite the bullet and get a gfo reactor to help control the gha that loves my tank so much. I have a 60 gallon DAS aquarium with an in-tank overflow box filter, so no sump. I don't have space to put one in the box filter so I am looking for one to hang off the side of the tank. Any particular one that people recommend and why? Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions!

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind mounting it to the wall the brs reactor served me well. I no longer use it (Just don't need it)

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The TLF Phosban reactor works well for the price .... nothing fancy but does the job!

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep reading issues with leaks and difficulty loading the media in the TLF model. Leak problems in the kent model as well. I was wondering if anyone has used the aquamaxx or any other model i haven't heard of and what is working well for them. As for BRS, it seems popular, but I'm not looking putting it in the wall, it would have to go under the tank and then pumped back up, trying to avoid that scenario - would prefer a hang on. Thanks for the bump and replies guys, hopefully lets get some more input on this topic! (maybe I'm opening a can of worms, but I keep reading as well about lanthanum chloride and pool product phosphate removers - are these reasonable alternatives or is it something to avoid?)

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recommendation - EW_Fish, I ended up getting something similar local, it is by far the easiest maintenance wise I think and it should do the job for sure. I decided not to get the BRS bc the exchange rates and shipping was more than the actual reactor, not worth it.

I guess this isn't necessarily a hot topic, but I will update as it goes for people to refer to in the future.

OP
OP
MRRBW

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update - the BRS-esque media reactor, turns out it was from Marinedepot, was a bust. It clogged in 3 days, the folks at marine depot, responded quickly, but blammed my setup which was working 100%. It's the filter pads in the inserts that clogged ridiculously fast. I read about this issue after the fact and ended up returning the product to the store. Too bad, I liked the closed unit aspect of it. That said, I changed it for a NextReef MR1 and hung it off the side of the tank, works wonders. Big reactor, too big for my tank really, but it works great, easy to use. Still have way too many issues with algae though, the battle continues.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back