Vertex 150 proteun skimmer (2007 vintage) Overflows when sump water level rises

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Vertex 150 Protein skimmer from 2007'. It overflows when I shut my pumps off for feeding. The Sump water leval rises to around 12" when pump is off. Is there a allowable level that will Not effect the skimmer? The skimmer is clean. Please advise?

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, skimmers need a constant level. You may get lucky if you're running a dry skim and your level only changes a bit. However, the adjustment is there to adjust your skimmer and the water level range is usually set by the maf and then you dial it in with the adjustments.

OP
OP
scardall

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The level in the sump changes when I shut down all my pumps so I can feed my fish or corals. When pumps are off the water level in sump rises. This is when I have my problem, only. I had a thought last night. What if I use a ATO sensor to shut off the skimmer when my water level rises and turns back on when it lowers to a normal level. What do you think?

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The level in the sump changes when I shut down all my pumps so I can feed my fish or corals. When pumps are off the water level in sump rises. This is when I have my problem, only. I had a thought last night. What if I use a ATO sensor to shut off the skimmer when my water level rises and turns back on when it lowers to a normal level. What do you think?

That would work.

I used to just unplug my skimmer when I shut down my pumps for feeding. The manual thing was just cheaper back then... haha.
Now with an apex (or controller), You set up a timer that the skimmer will turn back on 20 minutes (or whenever) after everything else has turned back on from feed mode. This way, the sump is back down to it's normal water level. Some AA will cause a skimmer to blow up with bubbles. This will help out in the department by letting the water cycle thru your sump a few times as well. (20 minutes might not be the magical number, I just threw it out there.)

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The omega runs best in around 7 1/2" of water. If you shut your pumps off do you shut skimmer down at same time? Once pumps come back on level in sump should level out fairly quickly. I would shut skimmer down at same time and fire it back up at same time should be ok

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back