Anyone using Tunze Osmolator (Optic eye) w/ a Kalkstirrer?

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having a bit of a problem running the two together. Seems like the kalk keeps sticking to the optic eye and causing it to fail. I would have to take the eye out and scrub it clean, and it keeps reoccurring in the course of one to two days. I had them both on the return section of the sump on opposite ends of the same side (both on the short side but as far as possible from each other). Ive got a 40g Breeder custom sump, the ATO is set to the middle flow position and the TLF KW stirrer has the recommended amount of kalk.

I resolved this issue by placing the stirrer outlet right above the bubble trap where the refugium drains into the return. So far its been running for 3 days with no issues. I could leave the Stirrer in its current position but it is unsightly. Does anyone else have this problem or do I have an overly sensitive eye? I purchased this system from someone else here 9 months before my system was ready so its not brand new.

OP
OP
VicD81

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh forgot to add I had a real big problem with this thing when I first installed it. It kept failing right after I turned it on and it finished its self test. I dont know what I did to rectify the issue but its been up and running for about five months now. Plus before I added the stirrer it would fail every now and then due to what looked like bubbles drying on the eye. Ive raised the level in the return section to almost eliminate bubbles but still the prob persists and has gotten worse with the addition of the stirrer, Ive even cleaned it in a vinegar bath to no avail.

OP
OP
VicD81

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it failed again today. First thing in the morning I always check the sump level and it was low. I checked the sensor and it had a thin white crust over it preventing it from working. No one else experience this? This is bizarre for something this expensive and popular I would think it would work flawlessly.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually relevant to a post I made. I'm glad I reread this and I'm glad you updated. Do you add the kalk to your top off water and it's going in your sump covering the eye? Can you post a picture of your kalk setup, as I'm curious.

OP
OP
VicD81

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow sorry thought my reply posted yesterday. But anyway here it is before.

Attachments

• 1421547986926.jpg
    1421547986926.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 469
  • 1421548017840.jpg
    1421548017840.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 333
OP
OP
VicD81

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And after.

Attachments

• 1421548052182.jpg
    1421548052182.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 414
  • 1421548074724.jpg
    1421548074724.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 336
OP
OP
VicD81

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing is completely unreliable. Its almost ran dry on me on one occasion. I'm almost afraid to go on vacation. Had to order some float switches to just make an ATO with my apex and a spare pump I have.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Kalk in mt ATO box and use the Tunze ATO, I've had lots of trouble with the kalk forming a film over the optic when the filler hose was close to the eye. I finally moved the filler hose to the opposite side of my sump and haven't had many issues, maybe once a month the optic will fail, now I clean it off every time I fill the ATO box, which is about every 7th-8th day and this has remedied the issue.

OP
OP
VicD81

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was afraid of. So no matter what I do it will eventually fail. I've got the nano ATO In my BioCube and it's never failed. I think I'll stick to mechanical switches from now on.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was afraid of. So no matter what I do it will eventually fail. I've got the nano ATO In my BioCube and it's never failed. I think I'll stick to mechanical switches from now on.

Yea it kind of stinks when the Tunze is the highest priced ATO available, I wish there was a way to set the Tunze with float switches.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dose Kalk properly, you will not introduce slurry into the water and will not coat the sensor causing an issue. A good kalk reactor will only dose lime water and leave the slurry in the bottom....
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1421552214.038762.jpg

See my setup....

OP
OP
VicD81

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the ATO works it only turns on for a couple of seconds and the TLF KW reactor never gets a chance to dump the slurry into the sump. The slurry rarely passes half way up the tube.

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the Tunze osmolator with the Kalkstirrer for several months with no issues. I stopped using it because it just could not keep up with the high demands of my SPS tank. Went to a 3 part dosing system instead.

Anyhow, the problem is not the Tunze nor the magic eye. The problem is with the kalkwasser character and where your output is located. When you use kalkwasser, there will be deposits immediately around the area you are dosing at. If you put your ATO/kalkstirrer output close to the eye, then deposits will form not just around the eye but in the walls immediately close to your output tubing. I have a remote refugium that drains into the return section of my sump, going through several baffles before it gets to the area where the eye and the return pump are located. I positioned the kalkstirrer output close to the drain area of the refugium. Even though the flow through my refugium is 600GPH, whitish deposits still form on the nearby refugium walls, the refugium drain, and then progressively gets less through the baffles. The eye and the return pump remain clear of any deposits. If you want to keep using kalkwasser, you need to put the output as far away from the eye as you can.

OP
OP
VicD81

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is why I moved the KW reactor to its current position. The mix has to yo down and up through that last baffle, and yet it still interferes with the eye.

OP
OP
VicD81

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seems like too much trouble for something so expensive. Ive got the nano osmolator with the single float switch in my biocube and never had a prob with it. I clean it maybe 2 a year and its good.

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dose kalkwasser in your biocube? I have two systems, one osmolator with magic eye each, running for 5 years now with no issues. I'm all for being negative on a faulty product, but the issue here in my opinion is the kalkwasser and it's natural character in usage. One other shortcoming/weakness of using kalkwasser and the kalkstirrer is the one way valve. Over the 6 months or so that I used the kalkstirrer, the one way valve would get stuck in the open position, allowing the slurry to backflow into the tubing and valve, some times all the way to the ATO reservoir. That problem, plus the general messiness of using kalkwasser and inadequate replenishment when calcium/alk/mag demands became high made me give up on kalkwasser.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VicD81

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did dose. Granted it wasnt in with a stirrer but I didnt clean it for a long time and had no issues. On my system I dont have the demand for 2 part so KW is the way to go. On the plus side in its current configuration the ATO and stirrer have been operational w/o faults for 5 days now.

I am not saying that this ATO is a complete point of sale just saying in my config it is sub par. Being as how it is one of the most expensive ATOs on the market one would expect near flawless operation. But then again I guess nothing is w/o its flaws.

Last edited:

bpauley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a kalk stirrer with my tunze osmolator for a few months now and have never had an issue, even with my outlet being only 5-6" away from the sensor. The stuff coming out of the stirrer is always clean, and hasn't caused any kalk buildup other than in the vinyl hose. It's possible that your stirrer is not big enough and some raw kalk is getting dosed into the tank.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back