Power Heads required?

jman9331

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank 48x21x18 that I'm about to put sand and water in and start cycling. Its going to be a fish only with live rock and eventually adding a nem. Is a power head required for this setup?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you will need power heads. Pretty much every set up will need power heads.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The jaebo wp25 or rw8 are perfect for a 75. You will need 2 maybe 3. Can also use tunze or vortech that put out about the same flow rates.

OP
OP
jman9331

jman9331

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome quick question to make sure I understand the purpose, this creates better oxygen exchange so that I don't need an air pump correct?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That and it also creates flow, which is one of the most important things in a tank. Without them the water would hardly move and everything would die.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They basically act like a wave does in the ocean. Most corals won't even open if there isn't any movement. It also can help keep all the derititus or fish poo suspended so that it can go down the overflow or cleaned in other ways like a protein skimmer

OP
OP
jman9331

jman9331

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the recommendation is that I get 2 are they to go on opposite sides of the tank?

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add another perspective to this question..... NO you do not need Power heads but, having a fairly strong flow rate within the aquarium is very beneficial on many levels. There are three primary ways to achieve flow in our systems and #1 would be the use of powerheads with Wave Makers being the best, #2 a Closed Loop setup with external high flow pump(s), having no unsightly powerheads but more complicated in the plumbing aspects and #3 High flow Sumps with the use of alternating and or rotaing return lines like SeaSwirls and SCWD's. The third option would really be only a good option on FOWLR or primarily a LPS Reef where only moderate flow is needed.

Food for thought and just another fact that there is always alternative methods to this hobby.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back