Bio-pellet Reactor Output?

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told, and may have read, that the effluent from a bio-pellet reactor should be plumbed directly to the skimmer intake. I really don't understand this.

I do understand that an increased number of bacteria, consuming both the carbon introduced by the pellets and other nutrients within the water, i.e. NO3 & PO4, must be exported by the skimmer.

What I don't understand is why skim the output directly.

Is the increase of bacteria concentrated in the reactor only?
Does the carbon of the pellet remain in solid form in the reactor, or, is it introduced into the water column where the bacteria do their work?

Be gentle.

Last edited:

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell you why it should be but i can say this..

When i was running biopellets on my system, my output wasn't plumbed directly to my skimmer. I just had it near the skimmer intake and never had any issues.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question Jeff, I'd like to know the answer also. I've been fighting cyano since I've gotten my pellets back on line; I have the effluent placed about 5"s from my skimmer intake...maybe this is the reason for the cyano???

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria grow on the surface of the pellet and are sloughed off. These bacteria can be caught by the skimmer and removed, if they float around the DT they may die and release the nutrients back into the water. By skimming the effluent you are more likely to remove them as they come off the pellet.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biopellets are simply food for bacteria. The bacteria feed on the pellets until the movement within the reactor knocks them off the pellets. This is also the case for other "carbon" dosing methods, such as vodka, vinegar, sugar, etc. The difference is that biopellets keep the food source within the reactor. The other bacterial food sources feed the entire tank....both good and bad bacteria....including cyano. In any of these methods, the skimmer is important in removing the excessive growth of bacteria....exporting the nitrates and phosphates consumed in the bacteria's growth.

With the bacterial growth within the reactor, the quickess and most efficient way to finally export the consumed nitrates and phosphates is to have the reactor exit port close to the skimmer pick-up. If you don't do this, the bacteria circulates within you tank where it could die and now add that nitrates and phosphates back into the tank. It simply is the most efficient way to finally remove the excess nitrates and phosphates.

I hope this explains the process.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed the pellets dissolved, thereby introduced carbon into the system, increased bacteria in the water column which consumed more nutrients than would have otherwise been consumed without carbon, and then the bacteria were skimmed out.

now I'm catching up, perhaps. :squigglemouth:

Still a little confused on how bacteria consume more NO3 and PO4 than would have otherwise been consumed without carbon. Perhaps it's sheer numbers.
I mean, if the number of bacteria in my tank find an equilibrium with the amount of nutrients, and my NO3 and PO4 still rise over time, then how does adding even more nutrient in the form of carbon somehow reduce NO3 and PO4.

I might be confusing myself here.....

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't dissolve....they are consumed directly. No "food" into the water column.

Nitrates and phosphates are used by growing cells....amino acids / proteins / cell structure / DNA / Etc. The more bacteria that grows, the more nitrates and phosphates are need....and therefore consumed.

Last edited:

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon is limiting. Algae use light and CO2 (carbon) to make Sugar. They use the notate and phosphate to build proteins and the bio molecules. So they make their own carbon source . You are providing the bacteria the carbon so they use the NO3 and PO4 instead of growing algae or cyano.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon is limiting. Algae use light and CO2 (carbon) to make Sugar. They use the notate and phosphate to build proteins and the bio molecules. So they make their own carbon source . You are providing the bacteria the carbon so they use the NO3 and PO4 instead of growing algae or cyano.
I think I understand this. Thanks!

I have a TLF Phosban Reactor 150 just sitting around not used, and, have been battling GHA and cyano. It's not bad, but it's there. I already run GFO in a reactor, and have a fuge full of Caulerpa I harvest regularly, but was thinking of supplementing my PO4 export capacity if possible. A little nervous about increased bacteria because there's frequent power outages in my hood and I have no alternate power source. I'm scared a few hours outage may crash my system.

On top of this, I'm not too impressed with my Aqua-C EV240 skimmer performance.

I need to discern if the risk may be worth the reward.

Thanks every one.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back