• Total voters

WetWorks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

i am in the process of doing a 200 DD sps tank. i have decided to incorporate a closed loop system the only question i have is what pump to use. i will be using a 55RLT for the main return and was thinking about using a second one for the loop. should i go smaller? i also have an MP60 along with 2 MP40's that will be used on the sides of the tank (firm believer in flow) set to Auto tune mode for a sick wave. input and opinions are welcomed. Oh also the drain line for the closed loop will be a single 1" bulkhead hidden in the corner overflow.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump! I wish I knew, lets get someone who will know.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on using 2 of the 12000 RLSS DC pumps. They are under review right now and I was told by the manufacturer that they will soon be approved as APEX ready. That way you could ramp them up and down independent of each other and get some pretty random flow. I would personally either choose powerheads or a closed loop. Running both kind of negates the purpose of a closed loop to me.

OP
OP
WetWorks

WetWorks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!!! That sounds awesome! Definitely gunna have to look into that and it's time frame. Do you mind if I asked for your reasoning for thinking it defeats the purpose? I was using the the closed loop for flow through the depth of the tank seeing as it is 3 foot front to back and the MP's for the auto tune. My sticks seem to love it. I also take the flow topic further then most lol. I have two MP40's on a 75 right now. Most would say that is overkill. I feel like it has done wonders for the corals.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't be detrimental to performance. To me the reason to run a closed loop was that if they are done right, they are less intrusive (looks better) than power heads. I have seen people put ecotechs on the back glass of a DD and that works well. If it was me, I would probably sell the MP60, get two MP40 QDs. Put the new ones on either side of the tank, and the two older MP40s on the back glass. You could get all kinds of crazy flow that way, and the price difference would probably be less than the one pump you listed above.

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have almost the same set up. I have 200 G with a closed loop system using the Iwaki 55RLT to circulate water from the middle of the tank to the back two corners by the overflow. I have this alternating with a XF140 Gyre using my RKE wave maker controller and get killer water movement and very little detritus build up.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 56 73.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back