JNS SK2 Skimmer Review.... Mojo~

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok all, I sold my backup skimmer, an old euro reef 5-3. Then I ordered an Avast cs2 Pegleg skimmer and the JNS sk2 skimmer. I got the avast first so It am running it first and so I had time to take some pictures of this beauty.

First let me say that the box it comes in is big !! About 3ft tall. Its not that big of a skimmer but it isnt small either. Very well packed. If anyone has ever bought a new older style Warner Marine skimmer you will see the same small round packing peanuts and great packaging. JNS made all the old warnre marine skimmers as well.

The skimmer uses the same twist lock neck that JNS has used for some time now. I really like it. A quater turn and lift off. Nothing too major. The build quality is spot on. Really nice. It is everything I would expect for a nice mid to high end skimmer. Now I have not run it yet but it looks very promising. I ll probably have to throw it in the sump here in a day or so of running the AVAST just to see how it works.

Well enough of all that here are some pictures to drool over.
%
P1030954.jpg

Same nice bubble plate as the aquamaxx line and Warner marine line of JNS skimmers.

P1030952.jpg

P1030950.jpg

P1030949.jpg

P1030948.jpg

P1030947.jpg

Very long transition to the neck. And it has a nice little radius in it. Its not a straight line . HEre you can see the slight curve.

P1030953.jpg

and here is a clever way to adjust water level..

P1030958.jpg

P1030959.jpg

More to come on this one for sure.

Mojo~

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sk series by JNS is a step up from the aquamaxx line they make. They use there version of the sicce psk 1000 pump with a pinwheel. and have a really long smooth transition to the neck. Kind of a hybrid cone / cylinder if you will.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wrong thread

Last edited:

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
almost looks like too fast of a tumble. are you going to add more pellets or is that where you will be staying at? also is there a way to adjust the flow thru the reactor

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll fix it. Wrong thread

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have to throw it in so I can take some pics of my Avast skimmer.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this one in last night so I can get some pics of the AVAST... This thing is very quiet. The transition to the neck is very smooth. No step at all and the pump is silent. Very nice skimmer thus far.

Mojo~

Saulsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo,

I've been following your skimmer threads in the shadows for over 6 months and finally had to register to ask a question.

Why didn't you consider the Warner Marine MF-181 with the same price-point as the JNS? They seem similar in the fact that they both have slightly different designs from old concepts.. I feel the warner marine may have a better pump..

I'm on the verge of either ordering the Avast or the warner marine but so indecisive. :squigglemouth:

Thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo,

I've been following your skimmer threads in the shadows for over 6 months and finally had to register to ask a question.

Why didn't you consider the Warner Marine MF-181 with the same price-point as the JNS? They seem similar in the fact that they both have slightly different designs from old concepts.. I feel the warner marine may have a better pump..

I'm on the verge of either ordering the Avast or the warner marine but so indecisive. :squigglemouth:

Thoughts?

I have had most of the skimz line already. I have found that I really like the 5000 pump. the others are ok.

I dont feel the same way about eden pump. The psk 1000 on the JNS skimmer is a great pump. Very nice built skimmer too.Both will do well. I have had both the sm201 and sk201 and the 121. So I have had all three pumps.

The jns is solid for sure. It has moved up to one of my favorites for sure.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill have to take some. The thing is still
plugging along working well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back