Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AJreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found out my local water supply is running chloromines and I have been considering which unit would work best.

I understand after speaking to spectrapure that their units also remove chlorimines from water and the claim they're filters out last the competitions

Do you pay the premium for Spectrpure or go with the cost effectiveness and reliability of BRS Chlorimine specific units

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither one.

Chloramine carbons are a waste of money. Read Spectrapures many articles on carbon and chloramines. ANY, I repeat ANY good 1 micron or less carbon block is more than sufficient for removing the chlorine portion of chloramines, they DO NOT remove the ammonia which is the job of the DI resin and why good DI is critical, not carbon.

The normal residual disinfectant level in drinking water is less than 2 mg/L and a walk in the park for a good 0.5 micron "Chlorine Guzzler" type carbon block such as Spectrapure and Buckeye Field Supply uses. ou do not need two carbons and you certainly do not need special catalytic carbons, waste of your money at the least.

Systems like Spectrapures refurbished system or their top of the line MaxCap are all you would ever need. BRS does not offer the quality, micron ranges or the custom blended reef specific DI resins that are critical for the success of a RO/DI system so would not be my choice.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a BRS chloramine specific ro/di for about 7 years now, and my reef is looking pretty fantastic. I've never heard or custom blended reef specific DI resins; sounds kind of questionable to me. The fact that BRS actually addresses the issue, vs. simply saying not to worry about it with "our special system", goes a long way for me.

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither one.

Chloramine carbons are a waste of money. Read Spectrapures many articles on carbon and chloramines. ANY, I repeat ANY good 1 micron or less carbon block is more than sufficient for removing the chlorine portion of chloramines, they DO NOT remove the ammonia which is the job of the DI resin and why good DI is critical, not carbon.

The normal residual disinfectant level in drinking water is less than 2 mg/L and a walk in the park for a good 0.5 micron "Chlorine Guzzler" type carbon block such as Spectrapure and Buckeye Field Supply uses. ou do not need two carbons and you certainly do not need special catalytic carbons, waste of your money at the least.

Systems like Spectrapures refurbished system or their top of the line MaxCap are all you would ever need. BRS does not offer the quality, micron ranges or the custom blended reef specific DI resins that are critical for the success of a RO/DI system so would not be my choice.
AZ I also don’t use chloramines filters, I am with you, but remember PaulB reef crashed in LI due to chloramines, I guess it depends how close you are to the water source and how much they put in the water. Its something I also have been considering for a while. But not sure if I need it, DELEMA J

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not run the chloramine carbon filters either. I did consider it but with the research done online and the help at R2R I went to a single carbon and added the MaxCap DI add-on to my system. No traceable ammonia is left over after the MaxCap system so I am happy.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, its not the chlorine portion of chloramines that is the culprit.
Any good carbon can easily neutralize or remove the chlorine even when it is bound up in chloramines.
The trick and the deadly part is the ammonia portion and carbon DOES NOT remove ammonia.
This is where the good DI resin and contact time come into play. Spectrapure has been doing just exactly this for over 25 years and are the number one name in the business for just that reason. They spend more money annually on research and development than all others combined and then some. They hold numerous patents, copyrights and trademarks for their products which are proven to work. There is nothing suspect or suspicious about their products and others could learn a lot from them.

Do not waste your money on chloramine carbons or on multiple carbons, I cannot stress this often enough. Spend your money where it gives you the most bang for your buck which is on the RO membrane itself and on better DI resins. Thousands of happy users cannot be wrong.

Read the second Sticky Post in this link as well as all the others if you have time, its not bunk, it really works.

SpectraPure - Reef Central Online Community

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't vote as I use a hybrid solution, nor do I have chloramines (well water) but - FWIW, I really like my BRS 6 stage with a boost pump (1 TDS out of the RO) but I found that for me, the Spectrapure MaxCap and SilicaBuster DI resins last much longer than the BRS resin. I'm more than 500% over what I typically get from the BRS DI resin and the Spectrapure has not even started any indication of color change yet.

I was very skeptical, but seeing is believing. I'm sold on Spectrapure DI resin.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with you, but remember PaulB reef crashed in LI due to chloramines
Actually I lost a bunch of corals from "zinc orthophosphate" that the town put in the water to control corrosion in the pipes.
I think chloramines are something else but I may be wrong

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates are added to drinking water systems with low pH and low Langlier Index. The phosphates can be orthophosphates or poly phosphates and are a way to line the metal pipes as a form of corrosion control. Phosphates are not an easy thing for the RO membrane, carbon does nothing so it is the job of good DI resins such as Spectrapures SilicaBuster which is specifically designed for such applications.

OP
OP
A

AJreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the trigger on the maxcap system earlier today since the BRS filters do, in my experience, exhaust faster and AZ and calms' reasoning are pretty sound.

Thanks for the info!!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back